HomeOwners Alliance logo

Sign up to our newsletter for the latest property news, tips & money saving offers

  • Moving home during coronavirus - Read latest advice

Do I need planning permission?

Getting planning permission for that dream extension or for essential maintenance can be a nightmare. Planning regulation is complex and many people have fallen into the pitfalls that await the ill-informed. As a starting point, we’ve distilled some key facts about what building projects do and don’t need planning permission …

Do I need planning permission

If you want to build something new or make a major change to your building you will probably need planning permission. If your project needs planning permission and you do the work without getting it, you can be served an enforcement notice ordering you to undo all the changes you have made. So don’t risk it and check before you start.


An addition or extension to your house* is generally considered to be permitted development. So you won’t need to go through the additional hassle of getting planning permission as long as:

  • Your extension is no more than half the area of land around the original house (curtilage). The “original house” is seen as it was in 1948; after this date how it was newly built
  • Your extension is not forward of the principal elevation or side elevation onto a highway
  • Your extension is not higher than the highest part of the roof
  • In the case of single storey extensions, it must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than eight metres for a detached house, or more then six metres for any other house
  • The maximum height of your single-storey rear extension is not higher than four metres
  • Extensions of more than one storey do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres
  • Side extensions are single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house
  • Two-storey extensions are no closer than seven metres to rear boundary
  • The materials are similar in appearance to the existing house
  • Your extension does not include verandas, balconies or raised platforms
  • Any upper-floor, side-facing windows are obscure-glazed; any opening is 1.7m above the floor

Conservatories are categorised as the same as any other extension, as set out above.

*Different rules apply to flats and maisonettes.

There are also different planning restrictions for designated areas such as Conservation Areas and if your property is listed. So check with your Local Planning Authority

Still not sure? Find a local planning consultant near you to help with your planning application

Garages, sheds and other outbuildings

Outbuildings such as sheds, garages, greenhouses and some other structures are also considered to be permitted development. You can build a garage or outbuilding on your property without planning permission as long as it’s of a reasonable size – no higher than 4 metres. Do bear in mind though that outbuildings cannot take up more than half of the land around the original property. There are as always exceptions where planning permission is necessary so contact your Local Planning Authority or visit the Planning Portal for further details of planning exemptions for outbuildings.

Paving over the front garden

As long as the material you are using is porous there is no need for planning permission whatever the size of the new hardstanding. However if the material is impermeable anything over 5 square metres requires planning permission.

Windows and doors

In most cases there is no need for planning permission to repair or replace windows and doors. The major exception is if your property is listed in which case you will have to obtain listed building consent. And don’t forget you will need Building Control approval for windows.

External walls and roof

For minor maintenance works, or improvements such as painting your house or inserting a skylight, you do not need planning permission. As always this is not the case if your building is listed. If you live in a conservation area or an area of outstanding natural beauty, you are required to obtain planning permission if you wish to change the appearance of your home. If you live in a flat and you wish to alter the roof you should consult the local planning authority before you start any work.

Wind turbines and solar panels

Temporary wind turbines do not require planning permission but permanent ones usually do. If you are unsure contact your local authority. Solar panels do not require planning permission unless you live in a listed property.

Fences, gates, and walls

Planning permission is necessary for any fence, gate, or wall:

  • Next to a road and over 1 metre high
  • Over 2 metres and not next to a road
  • If your house is listed
  • If it forms a boundary with a listed building

Trees and hedges

  • Many trees are protected by tree preservation orders and you will need permission to prune them. You can phone your council to check if any trees on your land are protected.
  • Similarly permission is required for work done to any trees in conservation areas. To find out if a tree on your property is protected contact your local council.
  • Hedges can be any height but you are responsible for any hedge on your property – it’s your job to stop them becoming a nuisance to your neighbours


Nearly all internal works such as loft conversions, garage conversions, new staircases, bathrooms, kitchens, or rewiring, do not require planning permission. But, do check if you want to do anything to a listed property or you live within a Conservation area.

How to get planning permission

According to our 2019 Annual HomeOwner Survey, 27% of homeowners –  or 4.7 million people – said planning permission is a major obstacle to getting home renovations done. So how do you ensure problems with planning permission don’t put a stop to your plans?

Unless you already have a local architect designing and submitting your plans, and one with a track record of obtaining planning permission in your area, a good planning consultant can be helpful in determining local planning restrictions, targets and preferences to ensure your project is tailored accordingly. They can help you to get planning permission.

Find a local planning consultant near you to help with your planning application

They may suggest you start with an informal meeting with your local planning authority (LPA) before you submit an application. Some local planning authorities charge for this service. A pre-planning application meeting can help the LPA in dealing with your planning application when it is formally submitted.

Ahead of this meeting you will need to have proposals and plans of what you want to do.  Be ready to describe your proposals and if possible show the LPA designs – with current floor plans and proposed new design.  According to the Planning Portal it’s a good idea at this meeting to:

  • Ask for an assessment of whether there is a reasonable chance of getting planning permission
  • Discuss site problems such as roads, footpaths, power cables, watercourses, sewers and telephone lines
  • Ask about potential problems such as noise and traffic, and whether the council might impose conditions to overcome these problems rather than refuse planning permission.

Planning application drawings

A key point in the process of getting planning permission is creating your design drawings. Whether it’s a small straightforward single storey extension on the back of your house, or something more ambitious, you will need a set of accurate floor plans for your designs and elevations (which show the vertical view of your design internally and externally).

These drawings need to be produced to the appropriate scale and demonstrate how your project will be in keeping with it’s surroundings. You can do the design drawings yourself or use a local architect’s firm that specialises in obtaining planning permission.

Find a local architect to discuss your project with today

As well as your designs, you are likely to need technical drawings in order to get building regulations approval (see below) and for your builder. These provide in depth plans for each element of your project and materials that should be used. A structural engineer can look a your existing and proposed plans and advise on the building materials required and whether any reinforcements are needed and if so where. They can also produce the technical drawings you will need.

You can find structural engineers who cover your local area, obtain their details and compare their prices here

When you’re ready, you can submit your plans planning approval online

And don’t forget…

  • Building regulations: Whether you need planning permission or not, your building work still needs to comply with building regulations, for your safety, to improve the energy efficiency of your home (and reduce bills) and to ensure you can sell your house in future without any costly problems or delays.Make it clear to whoever carries out your building work that you expect them to ensure their work is compliant with building regulations but be warned: responsibility ultimately lies with the building owner, who may be served a notice to pull down or alter the work if it doesn’t comply with the building regulations. Read more about this in our guide Do I need Building Regulations Approval?
  • Party wall: You also need to be aware that if you have a shared party wall with your neighbour, you may require a party wall agreement – read our guide to Party Wall Agreements

Leave a comment

* required


  1. I have built a very small conservatory and wrote to leaseholder to ask for permission. They have not replied and do not reply to our solicitors email. What can we do now as we want to sell the house. There are larger conservatories built in the road

    Comment by Steve Horner — August 24, 2020 @ 10:26 am

  2. Hi we own an old railway station, and in 2010 we made it into to properties by bricking up a connecting doorway, we now wish to revert back to a single property. Do we need to have planning permission as this was already granted in the original development.

    Comment by Ian — August 18, 2020 @ 10:35 am

  3. Own a 3 bedroom house that had a 2 storey, 2 bedroom extension in c.2000, with additional staircase. This staircase is narrower than the staircase in the original part of the house. We want to get rid of this extension staircase. Do we need planning permission? All bedrooms upstairs are accessible via main original staircase.

    Comment by Laura — July 30, 2020 @ 4:06 am

  4. Hi. We moved into our newbuilt house 7 months ago. We have just finished our garden. Our neighbour who moved in before us, now have levelled their garden and told us 3 weeks ago that he wants to dig out our new, joint, perfectly good fence for cosmetic reasons, there is no structural or safety problem with it. The housebuilder are still on site and promised them to put it right even though they agreed it is for cosmetic reasons and that it is a safe, sound new fence and we are happy with it. It is a joint ownership fence and it may end up more than 2m high when redone. It also may end up with all our newly planted plants damaged that we do not want as they are planning to dig out the concrete posts, dig out post foundations and re concrete them. Do they have the right to go ahead even if we do not agree to this work?

    Comment by Mrs H — July 9, 2020 @ 6:40 pm

  5. My neighbour is in the process of building a sigle storey ext to a end terrace house. Theyve not notified the council at all and its clearly going to be above 4m. Any advice?

    Comment by Leigh — June 2, 2020 @ 10:39 am

  6. Hi

    We have built a side extension under the guidance of our architect to ensure it falls permitted development. During building we added a side door to enter the utility.

    Also following our architect plans for the extension we have put on the flat roof a dummy pitch at the front (from the neighbour side they see a flat roof and the dummy pitch at the front) Our neighbour is very unhappy and now threatening to inform the council. Please can you advise.

    Comment by Peter — May 28, 2020 @ 4:55 pm

  7. I did all the right things to build a 2 story house on some spare land at the bottom of my garden.
    Pre-application met all the authorities planning rules. Only comment was a minor adjustment to wall from my side lane for pedestrian/ traffic safety no problem.
    Submitted full application and the whole world came down on me with loads of conditions and highways requirements. also now restricted to a single story. Why is the pre-application not binding if no changes has been made.
    Appealed and lost went to Planning inspector expecting to get their support but refused on the grounds that the neighbours on the side road may in the future want to extend their property. £1000’s spent Now nowhere to go as judicial review would cost too much.
    Feel the planning system is just a big money grab and only any use for the big developers.

    Comment by Rob — April 2, 2020 @ 8:37 pm

  8. i live in a link detached house [via a garage] the detached house to the other side around 2 mtr
    away. has just put up a brick wall with a permanent fiber roof attached to my outside wall, now making my house look like a middle terrace.
    the brick work and roof drainage do not match my or their houses. basically an eyesore
    as i did not give permission to permanently attach anything to my building, where do i stand with getting it removed. what are my rights.
    it has also come to my attention they are thinking of a 2 story rear extension without planning permission .
    what are my rights. as it looks like i don’t have any
    if it stays can i apply for a rates reduction as a middle terrace
    your Nigel

    Comment by Mr N Payne — March 19, 2020 @ 11:18 am

  9. Hello HOA, we have bought a Semi detached new build in 2017, 5% deposit, 20% help to buy, and 70% mortgage. I’ve got a single drive on the front of the house , same as my neighbour, and we would like to extend both of our drives to make them double , according to plans we both own our front gardens. Both drives are block paved with porous grit. Is there any reason why HTB wouldn’t agree to extend our drives because we would only put the value of the house up by doing that!? Many thanks Paul

    Comment by Paul — March 7, 2020 @ 2:33 pm

  10. Hi Mark – it’s certainly worth running your plans past your local authority to make sure that any necessary consents are obtained. Very best of luck!

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — February 13, 2020 @ 3:34 pm

  11. Hello, HOA – I want to demolish and rebuild a 1950’s garage at the foot of my garden, and rebuild it to exactly the same footprint and single-storey height (the old one is falling down and has an asbestos roof). I think that this requires no planning permission but will need to comply with the building regulations. Ought I to ask the Local Authority Building Regs control team to review and approve the work? Thank you.

    Comment by Mark — February 12, 2020 @ 12:23 pm

  12. Hi Trevor – we would suggest speaking to your local authority about this – in particular there may be buildings regulations implications if a door (and potential escape route in the event of an emergency) is blocked up. Best of luck!

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — January 30, 2020 @ 10:04 am

  13. Would I need planning permission for bricking up an unused back door in my kitchen to give us more space. This is in a bungalow with two patio doors and a Main entrance door

    Comment by Trevor Clark — January 29, 2020 @ 6:09 pm

  14. Hi. I would like to build a carport on the side of my bungalow between the side wall and the 6 ft boundary fence. On the other side of the fence is a footpath ( used mainly by dog walkers.). Will this be a problem?

    Comment by ken sherlock — January 25, 2020 @ 4:01 pm

  15. Can a council remove permitted development rules?

    Comment by Andrew silvester — January 17, 2020 @ 10:19 am

  16. Hi Shaun – it will depend on various issues including whether the garage is attached to your house or not. We would suggest you speak to your local planning authority about whether planning consent is required. Best of luck.

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — January 13, 2020 @ 11:17 am

  17. I would like to build a garage down the side of my house front to back
    Not sure if i need planning or not (single story)

    Comment by Shaun Richards — January 12, 2020 @ 7:02 pm

  18. Hello Simon, we’d recommend that you have a chat with your Local Planning Authority.

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — November 11, 2019 @ 11:47 am

  19. Hi, we live in a ‘Chalet Bungalow’ ie all facilities are on the ground floor except 2 Bedrooms which are in the roof space. We would like to extend these 2 bedrooms by inserting a Dormer along the side of the property, Do we need planning for this or simply Building regulations? It does seem to be a loft conversion rather than an extension, the plans will not affect building height or front a road. any thoughts?

    Comment by Simon James — November 11, 2019 @ 10:40 am

  20. Dear Phil – The building regulations have recently changed, allowing more to be done under permitted development. However, it is always worthwhile contacting your local planning department and run it past them before commencing any works.

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — October 25, 2019 @ 4:13 pm

  21. Hi all.
    I’m wanting to have a single story, ground floor extension built on the back of the house. It would be approximately 4 metres wide in line with the back of the house and protrude approximately 2.5 metres, this is to be used as a dining room. The limit of the extension would be around 4.5 metres from my back wall, with no other residential property behind the wall. Is this something that would need planning permission?

    Comment by Phil — October 25, 2019 @ 10:34 am

  22. Hi Adam, we’d recommend that you speak to your local planning department and to building control as well. Planning permission might not be needed, but there are other issues to take into account.

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — October 14, 2019 @ 3:00 pm

  23. Hi all hope you are ok.
    I want to ask this.
    I have 4 bed terraced house
    And I have another 4 bed terrace house
    Next to each other.

    I want to cut a door way to one of the room to turn my home into 5 bed
    And the next door into 3 bed which is rented.
    What is the procedure? Does it need planning
    Thanks in advance

    Comment by Adam — October 14, 2019 @ 1:29 pm

  24. Dear Nigel – I would suggest that you would talk to your local council planning team who would be able to advise on this for you. You could also invite a couple of builders around to quote and ask them as well https://hoa.org.uk/services/find-a-tradesman/

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — October 7, 2019 @ 2:59 pm

  25. Hello. We have a utility room attached to the (semi detached) house. It is single brick wall construction with reinforced concrete roof. It has been there since the house was some 50 years ago. Its akin to the old air raid shelters that were dotted around years ago. We intend to move the existing toilet in it about 3 feet using the same underground drains, replace the rear door with PVC and take down 1 internal wall to make a more useable space. Also rewire it. What building regs does this come under and is planning permission required. Many thanks. NJM.

    Comment by Nigel Madders — October 7, 2019 @ 9:46 am

  26. Hi Adam, this may well not be in line with the planning permission for the development. It’s always worth asking the developer for something that you want, especially as you’re early enough in the build phase, though do be aware the developer may not be keen to make any changes (changes have knock on effects eg where the electric cables are laid, changes to path landscaping) and any changes you request will likely cost you more. Best of luck negotiating!

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — September 30, 2019 @ 2:17 pm

  27. Hi,

    I am planning on purchasing a new build property; the foundations have yet to be put in.

    The housing company have the walkway from the front to the back garden between the property and the detached garage – around a 3 feet space in width.

    My question is as follows:
    Can I request the garage to be moved so that it is attached to the property and therefore the walkway from the front to the back garden is at the side of the garage?

    I don’t see much of an issue as it is such a small change.

    Thank you.

    Comment by Adam — September 29, 2019 @ 10:49 am

  28. Hello,

    I am planning to do a ground floor rear extension to a semi detached property under permitted development rules (i.e extend 4-5 metres out). I would like sliding doors on the rear wall but also the side wall that will face my garden fence.
    From what I have read on the planning websites, I found this statement:
    ‘Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.’
    So my question is are side facing large windows/ sliding / patio doors allowed on the ground floor?
    Thank you

    Comment by Mo — September 9, 2019 @ 12:55 pm

  29. Hi Rajani, you’d be best to discuss this with your conveyancing solicitor.

    Comment by HomeOwners Alliance — August 12, 2019 @ 11:44 am

  30. Hi there,
    We are near completion of buying our first house and with our survey report our solicitor has raised an issue that the kitchen extension at the rear which is of 3.4mX2.7m was carried out by the seller himself in 2015 as he is a builder. But there was no planning permission obtained and nothing to prove it was built following the building regulations. Sellers have agreed on them buying indemnity policy. What’s our best option at this point? Thanks

    Comment by Rajani Thapa — August 10, 2019 @ 8:21 pm

  31. Hi advice
    Needed do I need planning permission if I want to attach a cat run fitted onto my back door aprox width 4 metres deep by 12 ft long .. it will go onto my paved patio many thanks Alice

    Comment by Alice red — June 14, 2019 @ 12:32 am

  32. Question: I am planning to build a side kitchen extension to my semi detached house. It will be less than 3m wide. The house has a front wall with the front door in it and a brick built bay window projecting forwards 650 mm to ground and first floor to both sides of the semi. What is the building line and can my new proposed extension be built inline with the bay window line?

    Comment by Howard — April 26, 2019 @ 10:27 am

  33. At the 11th hour of a house purchase we found that the converted garage (attached to the house and only a basic conversion) did not have planning permission. The seller purchased the usual document that nobody is supposed to mention and retro fitting to gain permission is not allowed. Reading through some of your documents it sounds like planning permission isn’t required for the conversion and I will be able to complete it appropriately.

    Comment by Teresa — November 1, 2018 @ 5:10 pm

  34. Hi Stephen, we’d recommend that you speak to your Local Authority in the first instance. If you need to find an architect or a planning consultant or other tradesmen, you can use our website to find quotes.

    Comment by Sara Hind — October 17, 2018 @ 2:32 pm

  35. Do I need planning permission to build over an original single storey section of my detached house. The proposed first floor ‘extension’ is less than 5m2 and intended to serve as an en-suite.
    Obviously it doesn’t increase the ground floor area and is more than 7m from the boundary.

    In the past I have added a conservatory, converted an integral garage into a room and built a detached garage in the rear garden

    Comment by Stephen Walker — October 4, 2018 @ 2:38 pm

  36. Hello Murtuza, I don’t see that you’ll need planning permission to swap garages with your neighbour, but it would be best to get this documented and as you’ve suggested, you would need to check with your mortgage provider what their requirements on this would be. You can contact our conveyancing team to discuss quotes for this work.

    Comment by Sara Hind — September 26, 2018 @ 3:51 pm

  37. Hi,
    My neighbour wants to exchang his garage with mine as he is keen to have a door from the garden into the garage.

    I would like to understand if this needs planing permission and also what is the process of having this documenting this in the contracts as my land deed has outlined the garage boundary. Do we need to hire a solicitor for the same and also as we may need to inform the mortgage provider..

    Please advise.


    Comment by Murtuza — September 26, 2018 @ 3:30 pm

  38. Hi Zuzana, thanks for your enquiry. Have read through of our article and then contact your local planning authority for a chat about what the chances are of you getting permission, it can vary, so best to speak with someone locally. If you need one, you can use our site to find a Planning Consultant and/or an Architect.

    Comment by Sara Hind — August 29, 2018 @ 3:53 pm

  39. Hi there,
    We have 4 bedroom detached house with about 8 x 8 metres land in front of the house.
    Would it be possible to extend front of the house?
    I was wondering how high is potential of declining our request when asking for building permission?
    Thank you very much.
    Zuzana Bunce from Grange Park in Northampton.

    Comment by Zuzana Bunce — August 28, 2018 @ 9:30 pm

  40. Hi, Do i need planning permission to brick up the back door on a property ? The property in question is next door to my home and has a back door that opens in to my garden , i have recently had this property left to me by a grandparent and was wanting to brick up the back door before selling the property so as to make my garden a private area with access from my house alone, \garden access was never a problem before as it was a grandparent that lived in the house but i dont want to sell and have strangers in and out of my garden, i was also hoping that by doing this work it may increase the value of my house as it will then have a private garden. Thanking you in advance . Pete.

    Comment by Pete — August 1, 2018 @ 8:18 am

  41. Hi is it permissive to put a practice up on a party wall without planning permission or being at least made aware that this was happening

    Comment by pete — June 6, 2018 @ 12:34 pm

  42. If you have made a change to your property that requires planning permission and you have not had approval, a local authority can request that you submit a retrospective planning application for the work that you have already carried out. The local authority will make the request to the owner or occupier of the land concerned. We can assist you further, please consider becoming a member.
    HomeOwners Alliance team

    Comment by AKerr — November 3, 2017 @ 2:40 pm

  43. We have a large garage and 2 years ago converted half into a utility room and shower room. The front was left as storage and has a garage door. The builders said we didn’t need planning permission and we then thought about having the front made into an office/small living room. We now find we need planning permission. Will the council make us take down the existing room if we apply for planning permission?

    Comment by Alison — November 2, 2017 @ 3:33 pm

  44. Hi,
    Recently I applied for side & rear extension of my semi detached house and I got permission. Now all work has been done. We decided to built a new staircase & small kitchen in the side extension as we have family members coming to stay during holidays.. our contractor adviced us that we don’t need planning permission for new kitchen & staircase. He also said that we can install a new door (on entrance) to give separate access to the extension but I am not sure weather we need permission to add a new external door or not? We do have a big driveway in front of property and it means doors won’t open directly on road.. any advice please

    Comment by B Washington — April 13, 2017 @ 7:17 am

  45. My garden is on a steep slope and is already tiered but the bottom level is extremely low so there is a big drop. Having children we want to make this safe and build it up 2-3 foot, do I need planning permission for this? There is already a retaining wall of railways sleepers built high enough to hold the new height and as it is still going to be the lowest part of the garden will not overlook any of the neighbours any more than the top level we already have which is the level of the house and the patio outside. I am told this is a grey area and I am struggling to find out what I can and can’t do and if I need planning. I have been told different things by different people from the council so I am none the wiser as to what I can do but can’t find anything anywhere that stipulates what height I can raise my garden level by with or without planning.

    Comment by Lianne Bickerstaffe — December 12, 2016 @ 9:32 am

  46. I read your articles and found your writing very easy to follow and informative. Whilst interesting to read I wasn’t able to answer a dilemma I currently find myself in. This email is to ask if you might be kind enough to refer me to a relevant paper/article.

    In summary, I have planning permission from my local council to extend (considerably) a current property I bought as a family home. It had not been lived in for two years so was in a bad way. We planned to keep a few walls, but really this would look like a new build. When demolition started to take down walls I was advised by my builders that the remaining walls were not sound and they collapsed (the mortar was made of ash), also there had been floor sinkage in some corners of rooms and we were advised to replace all foundations and walls.

    This has meant a replacement application has be submitted to the local council. The council refused our request for a material change even though we have made no changes to the design, just the replacement of old walls.

    This is a detached house and we have one set of neighbours who opposed the original resign of the house. We changed our design and made flat roofs to accommodate planning advice which then got approved. The same neighbours are trying again to oppose our build.

    This is very stressful and I am worried we could be refused planning permission this time. With the walls knocked down we have no way of going back to the original planning permission, although the footings are still there if this is worth an argument.

    My question is: How likely is it that they could refuse planning permission now? If they do, on what grounds? What can we do about it?

    I would be so grateful if you could offer any guidance in this matter.

    Many thanks,

    Comment by Cheryl Knowles — December 9, 2016 @ 11:31 pm

  47. Dear Natasha,

    Thanks for your query. Please have a look at this answer from one of experts on the question: Can I put a double storey extension on my semi detached house under permitted development?. We also have a useful guide that you can have a look at: Do I need planning permission?.
    Do wish you all the best with this.

    Kind regards,

    HomeOwners Alliance Team

    Comment by Sophie Khan — October 13, 2016 @ 2:23 pm

  48. We currently have 2 single story buildings on the back of our house 1 is a dining room & the other is a bathroom extension this was done before we bought the house. Can we build on top of these extensions without planning permission?

    Comment by Natasha — October 5, 2016 @ 7:55 pm

  49. Hi
    I intend to purchase a new-build detached property, however neither ground floor water closet of first floor family bathroom have a window. I would like to be able to create new windows in each. My conveyancer has advise that they cannot suggest any changes to the developers contract to allow this, and my best bet is to take up this request directly with the developer.

    Can I not have this written in the contracts?
    How amenable are developers (this is one of the majors) to these type of request?

    Obviously, any window created would be to the relevant Building Reg, obscure, glazed, etc.



    Comment by Andrew Atkinson — August 9, 2016 @ 2:07 pm

  50. Can I put a wall where my fence all the way down the garden is and how high can it be without the need for planning permission,

    Comment by nathan cottam — April 20, 2016 @ 7:06 pm

  51. Can u build a property under 4m tall on private land without planning permission brand new?

    Comment by jamie — April 3, 2016 @ 3:26 am

  52. Hi
    I want to know if a detached house can be turned into two maisonettes under permitted development. I think I must have dreamt it but I was under the impression you could- However,I now can’t find a definitive answer on the net.

    My local Planning department won’t give advice on phone or even see people at their offices, so can’t get any joy out of them unless I put in a pre-app which apparently takes weeks.

    Thanks in advance

    Comment by Graham — February 10, 2016 @ 4:23 pm

  53. Hi there
    Need help
    I am an Aussie who bought this house 7 years ago. We got a tradesman to fit a door from our kitchen to garage. A door size wall was removed to fit t the door. The tradesman did not indicate anything about planning permit.

    I am now about to sell my house, I was told by my neighbour that I need a permit.
    It has been 8 years ago and it us only to fit a standard door. What can I do now

    Thanks, appreciate your assistance

    Comment by Matilda — February 9, 2016 @ 7:14 pm

  54. I have terraced home, I planning to do internal work within my home which should not affect anything outside.
    I am planning to
    1.Build 2nd entrance from my kitchen to living room

    2. I have long living room with has arch type wall at the middle and I would like to change the arch shape wall to rectangular and add push doors.

    Would I need planning permission from my local authority or can this be done without and anything else i required to cross when carry out this work?

    Comment by Ishtiaq Hussain — January 10, 2016 @ 7:46 pm

  55. I have a semi detached house with an double extension partly across the back , I aim to build a single story extension using the neighbours consent scheme to 5.5 metres across the other half of the rear of the property – however the new extension will stagger the double extension slightly. Is this allowed under permitted delevelopment neighbour consent scheme ( up to 6 m for a semi )?

    Comment by trevor colton — November 19, 2015 @ 11:06 am

  56. We are in the proses of buying a freehold flat which we which to extend at the back do we permission from the othe freehold in the flat,or can we just build out to the 3metre allowance

    Comment by Dianne — November 12, 2015 @ 12:59 pm

  57. Question…we currently have a single story rear kitchen extension this was done before we bought the house. Can we build on top of that extension without planning, if it’s less than 3metres from original house wall?

    Comment by Amy — November 12, 2015 @ 11:51 am

  58. You need to highlight PARTY WALL Consents

    Which will involve every Leaseholder/Freeholder in the same building and every Leaseholder/Freeholder of any property within 3 meters of the building

    Planning permission (for an extension that probably comes under permiited development) Took us 3 months and cost about £1300 including drawing up the plans

    PARTY WALL took about a 12 Months and Cost us £4000 including a Planning document change to clarify how Foundations would work.

    Comment by Charles — April 29, 2015 @ 9:52 am


Sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter

For the latest news, advice and exclusive money saving offers.