What personal information do we collect?
We collect certain personally identifying data about you when you engage with certain areas of our site including when you:
- Send us your comments and/ or feedback /leave comments on our website
- Subscribe to our monthly newsletter
- Input your details to access certain tools
- Request quotes for services
- Become a paid member of the HomeOwners Alliance
That personal information could include:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Property details
- Preferences and interests
You do not have to provide any information to us to use this website. However, certain sections of the site or services within the site may not be accessible if you choose not to share any information with us.
We may also collect information about your internet connection and website use, e.g.: the URL you came from, IP address, domain type, browser type, the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on and any search terms you entered on our website. If you take part in any promotions, competitions or give us feedback or complete any profile forms, we may collect additional information. For more information about how we process this information please see our cookies policy.
How is this information used?
This information is used to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Operate Estateagent4me, Instant Valuation tool, snagging survey quote and lease extension quote services and send you information you request
- Send subscribers our newsletter and contact you with information about products and services that may interest you. This may be by telephone but will be predominantly by email. If at any time you do not wish to continue to receive newsletters or marketing emails then you can unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you subscribe to receive news alert push notifications from HomeOwners Alliance and later wish to unsubscribe, see how to unsubscribe from push notifications. Follow the instructions for all the devices you used to subscribe for news alert push notifications
- Generate aggregate statistics about our site visitors and users of our services to improve the content of our web pages, products and services
- Administer this site
- Handle enquiries submitted to us by you
- Verify your identity in specific instances (for example, in the event you are a competition winner)
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Sharing your personal information with third parties
Your personal data is only shared with carefully selected third parties in the following instances:
Who we share your data with and why
|Instance||Third party||Lawful basis|
|Use of our free estateagent4me tool||Estate agent partner Yopa or local FIA (Federation of Independent Agents) member||Legitimate business interest – so that we can provide the tool for free, Yopa or a local Federation of Independent agents member may contact you by phone, email or post regarding their product and services that you may find useful. If you do not wish to be contacted by them, please email us at email@example.com|
|Use of our free instant property valuation tool||Estate agent partner Yopa||Legitimate business interest – so that we can provide the tool for free, Yopa may contact you by phone, email or post regarding their product and services that you may find useful. If you do not wish to be contacted by them, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org|
Partner service providers
We work with partner service providers for a number of our services and quote comparison tools (e.g.: conveyancing, surveys, mortgages, removals, find a tradesman, find an architect, find a structural engineer, insurance, snagging survey, find a lease extension solicitor, find an independent financial advisor etc.).
How long is your personal data retained?
We only retain your personal data for as long as necessary. The table below outlines how long data is retained, and depends on the reason the personal data is used for:
How long we hold your data for and why
|Type of user||Lawful basis for processing||Retention|
|Paying HomeOwners Alliance member||Legitimate Business Interest and Contractual fulfilment – To deliver tailored membership service||Up to 2 years from expiry date of membership|
|Non-member user of estateagent4me, instant valuation, snagging survey, lease extension||Legitimate business interest – To deliver quotes, valuations, relevant service information and to track valid leads||Up to 1 year from date of registering for use of service|
|HomeOwners Alliance newsletter subscribers||Legitimate business interest- To deliver newsletters to subscribers||‘Active subscribers’ for as long as newsletter subscription is retained and active
‘Unsubscribes’ and ‘bounced’ subscribers are immediately removed from distribution list and record deleted within 1 year of bounce or unsubscribe
‘inactive’ subscribers (no opens in a year) are removed within 3 years of inactivity
|Website visitors who post a comment on our website||Legitimate business interest – To prevent spam and to respond to your comment if necessary we collect your email address||For as long as comment remains on the website|
|Website enquiries form ‘contact us’||Legitimate business interest – To process enquiry||Data held on the website is automatically deleted within 3 months and any data held in email systems is deleted automatically within 12 months|
Your rights regarding your personal data
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data in specific circumstances, e.g. for marketing purposes.
You have the right to have your information updated and corrected if you believe it is inaccurate or erased in certain circumstances or place restrictions on the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
You have the right to be told how we use your information and obtain access to your information – see Subject Access Request below.
You can exercise your rights at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link within our newsletter emails or marketing emails, or by emailing email@example.com or by writing to us at 2 Stephen St, Fitzrovia, London W1T 1AN.
Our site contains links to and from the websites of our partner service providers and advertisers. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites. You may need to contact our service providers directly to remove or update your details.
Subject Access Request
You have the right to obtain:
- Confirmation that your data is being processed
- Access to your personal data and
Time to respond:
- Where we are the data controller, we must usually respond to your request within a month. Where we are the data processor of your personal information, we will direct you to the controller.
- We do not hold data that is provided by you to our third party service providers or produced on your behalf by these service providers
HomeOwners Alliance Limited is registered in England & Wales, with company number 07861605
Updated April 27, 2021