Sign up to our newsletter for the latest property news, tips & money saving offers

• Moving home during coronavirus - Read latest advice

Green Homes Grant – how they work

Here's how the Green Homes Grant works, including latest details of which energy efficiency measures are covered

Post updated: August 4th, 2020

Green Home Grants

The Chancellor last month announced that homeowners will be able to claim vouchers of up to £5,000 for energy-saving home improvements, with the poorest getting up to £10,000.

As part of a £2 billion Green Homes Grant announced for England, eligible homeowners will be able to use the vouchers to pay for environmentally friendly improvements.

But if you were hoping to be able to access your £5,000 voucher and spend it on the home improvements of your choice, you may be disappointed.

How will the vouchers work?

In restrictions announced today, energy efficiency measures allowed under the scheme are being divided into two categories: “primary” and “secondary”.

In order to qualify for funding to cover secondary measures, home owners must first carry out one of the primary measures.

And, the amount of money offered by the government for secondary measures is capped at the amount the home owner claimed for primary improvements. So if you receive £1,000 towards primary upgrades, your grant for any secondary measures will be capped at £1,000.

What energy efficiency measures are covered by the Green Homes Grant?

The list of “primary” measures are set out as:

• different types of insulation, including cavity, solid wall, under-floor and roof
  • installation of low-carbon heating systems such as air source heat pump, ground source heat pump and solar thermal

So long as there is at least one primary measure in the package of works, households will also be able to install secondary measures. Secondary measures can only be subsidised up to the amount of subsidy provided for primary measures. (e.g. if a household receives £1,000 for primary measures, they can only receive a maximum of £1,000 towards secondary measures).

The list of secondary measures include:

• draught-proofing
  • double or triple glazing
  • fitting energy-efficient doors
  • installing thermostats and smart heating controls
  • insulating hot-water tanks

How do I find a tradesperson?

You will need to have the works done by a tradesperson registered with TrustMark or Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), who are accredited to take part in the Green Homes Grant voucher scheme.

The government have also stated that homeowners across England will be able to access advice and support on improving the energy efficiency of their homes from the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) service. They will able to suggest appropriate home improvements that homeowners may be able to apply for support in funding.

Once the works are agreed, vouchers will start to be issued from the end of September online, so work can commence.

Further eligibility criteria is detailed here

Lower bills, lower emissions

In announcing the scheme the government said it will be providing at least £2 for every £1 homeowners and landlords spend to make their homes more energy efficient, up to £5,000 per household – fully funding energy efficiency measures of up to £10,000 for households on the lowest income.

The government said today if a homeowner of a semi-detached or end-terrace installed cavity wall and floor insulation, costing around £4,000, the homeowner would pay just £1,320 – with the government paying £2,680. Doing so could save the owner over £200 annually on their bills and reduce their carbon footprint by cutting 700 kg of CO2 a year from their home alone.

The scheme aims to upgrade over 600,000 homes across England.

Better insulation could save some people £600 a year on energy bills.

It is hoped the investment would also help to “kick-start our economy” as the UK recovers from the economic shock of coronavirus.

Funding is only currently available until March 2021.

To be the first to hear about how to apply for your vouchers, sign up to our newsletter by clicking here

1. I a partial garage conversion already however it still has thd garage door on. This needs coming off and a window putting in. Could this comd under this scheme?

Comment by Clare — August 5, 2020 @ 11:07 pm

2. My bungalow has cavity wall insulation but it is now over 30 years ago and would like to upgrade the insulation how do I get these grants also looking at triple glazing .
    Many thanks

Comment by Hopkin — August 5, 2020 @ 8:20 pm

3. Can I apply for the grant if I live in a leasehold flat?

Comment by Maria — August 4, 2020 @ 1:22 pm

4. I wish to upgrade my windows and doors as they are really old.hope i can through the green scheme.i am a home owner

Comment by Dawn Davies — August 4, 2020 @ 12:32 pm

5. I am about to change from ducted air heating (30 year old) to radiator central heating with a Combi boiler.
    Am I able to claim a grant for this work?

Comment by Dave — July 29, 2020 @ 8:51 pm

6. Excellent content need to know more about eligibility and replacing my roof

Comment by Martin Davies — July 28, 2020 @ 8:44 pm

7. I live in a rented property and windows were replaced but front door porch doors and back door were not would my landlady be eligible under new grant commencing september to replace all?

Comment by Sheila Kennedy — July 25, 2020 @ 11:12 am

8. I am 88yrs live alone, My conservatory is also my dining room the roof reaks a little and is very cold in winter could I get a grant for replacement?

Comment by V Maggs — July 24, 2020 @ 4:23 pm

9. Can I use the green grant scheme on a new bathroom

Comment by Carol — July 23, 2020 @ 10:43 pm

10. Hi Millie,
    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Please sign up to our newsletter to receive further details as they are released from the government. You will also have a chance to win £50 in John Lewis vouchers.
    Paula

Comment by Paula — July 22, 2020 @ 5:15 pm

11. Im 80 and live alobe.
    Double glazing now over 30 years old and draughty, skylights no longer close properly..
    Roof needs attention

Am I eligible please? Would like to receive details of Green Home please. Thanks

Comment by Millie — July 22, 2020 @ 5:11 pm

12. How do we become accredited installers ? Is this yet another scheme that allows only big firms to gain business leaving all small local firms left with no work and end up just getting boiler servicing in the future as the larger firms do not come back.

Comment by Audrey Yearnshire — July 22, 2020 @ 4:53 pm

13. Useful doc

Comment by Sonia Henningham — July 22, 2020 @ 4:31 pm

14. I like alot of people want an upgrade for Windows and doors I do hope it comes with no strings attached I have had a local firm come to get an estimate just in case

Comment by Mrs Joan higton — July 22, 2020 @ 9:45 am

15. Double glazing now very old and draughty, also repairs needed to roof. Would like to receive details of Green Home Scheme when available.

Comment by Velda Carter — July 21, 2020 @ 6:47 pm

16. We are selfemployed market traders will we be able to get help to replace our front and back door has they are both in need of repair thanks

Comment by Julie — July 20, 2020 @ 10:54 pm

17. Can the grant be used on listed buildings?

Comment by Louise — July 20, 2020 @ 8:51 pm

18. JoeA,
    At the moment the scheme is only for England, but please sign up to our newsletter to keep on top of the latest developments.
    Paula

Comment by Paula — July 22, 2020 @ 5:22 pm

19. Will this grant be available in Scotland?
    We replaced some double glazing two years ago as we could not afford all windows.
    We are both over 70 and wondered if any age related grants are available.
    Many thanks.

Comment by joeA — July 20, 2020 @ 6:59 pm

20. My conservatory is our dining room and the roof leaks and needs replacing. I have been unable to obtain a loan for the £7500 cost of replacing it and am worried about it surviving another winter. Will I be able to apply for a grant to replace it. I am on a low income furlough of £100 per week.

Comment by Trudi Sohngen — July 17, 2020 @ 11:13 pm

21. Does grant include wales?

Comment by Su — July 17, 2020 @ 6:25 pm

22. my double gaze window and door are 15 yer old. Looks not working. Drought are coming everywhere. Wish to replace it.

Comment by Dalsukhbhai chauhan — July 17, 2020 @ 5:59 pm

23. Interested in a boiler grant ours is 21 years old

Comment by G Spicer — July 17, 2020 @ 4:04 pm

24. Would this grant cover roof replacement. Member of family on disability benefits

Comment by Alan Swanson — July 17, 2020 @ 3:59 pm

25. Can I get Vouchers for two exterior double glazed doors I am having installed next week. Boiler is 12 years old and needs replacing.

Comment by Ms. Morris — July 17, 2020 @ 3:51 pm

26. Hi i have lived in my house for 35 years, my roofing is leaking can i get a grant to get it fixed, i am scared that the roof will collapse, i am not working at the momoment because of the pendamic, any help i could get please

Comment by Malik — July 16, 2020 @ 3:20 pm

27. How as a home improvements company do you become a green home grant accredited installer?

Comment by Jackie — July 16, 2020 @ 12:20 pm

28. I’m nearly living here over 15 years I have to improve my property

Comment by Paramasivam suyenthiraraj — July 16, 2020 @ 10:42 am

29. Dose this include pensioner

Comment by MRS Curley — July 16, 2020 @ 10:37 am

30. Can I claim the voucher back if I’ve had work done this year already ie a back payment?

Comment by Emma — July 15, 2020 @ 10:32 pm

31. Would we qualify for a boiler, ours is 22 years old?

Comment by Julie Bowling — July 15, 2020 @ 8:21 pm

32. My house needs double glazing including doors. It will help on energy cost. I have had cavity wall and loft insolation plus a smart metre installed. Also it will improve on safety as my widows are dangerous

Comment by June Forde — July 15, 2020 @ 8:06 pm

33. We have lived in our current home for over 11 years and we required to make improvement to our property to accomdated our needs

Comment by Yared Fessahaye — July 15, 2020 @ 3:21 pm

34. I am very interested in cavity wall insulation and possible double glazed windows improvements

Comment by Christine Lambert — July 15, 2020 @ 2:15 pm

35. Does the grant cover solar panels.

Comment by Christine — July 15, 2020 @ 1:57 pm

36. We all hope the details will be announced well in advance to allow people time to prepare. Last time around the property had to have an EPC less than a year old confirmimg what energy saving measures the property needs and the “grant” was actually a cashback so homeowners had to be able to fund the whole cost themselves then get the cash back. So this time around we need a simpler and better consumer focused process.

Comment by Michael Dinmore — July 15, 2020 @ 1:05 pm

37. How as a double glazing company do you become a green home grant accredited installer?

Comment by Launa Austin — July 15, 2020 @ 11:14 am

38. Very interested. Help needed before the winter.

Comment by Elizabeth Williams — July 15, 2020 @ 12:37 am

39. Interested in replacing 40 years old double glazing which is now far fromdraught proof.

Comment by Elizabeth Williams — July 15, 2020 @ 12:34 am

40. Does the grant cover Wales?

Comment by James Hayes — July 14, 2020 @ 9:54 pm

41. Can an individual claim the voucher if the work has been ordered and/or already carried out? As a back payment.

Comment by bc — July 14, 2020 @ 6:02 pm

42. Interested in boiler grant ours is 15 years old

Comment by Scott — July 14, 2020 @ 5:40 pm

43. Does the grant include solar panels?

Comment by Jason Scott — July 14, 2020 @ 4:34 pm

44. I need help for windows and central heating.

Comment by Stuart — July 14, 2020 @ 11:28 am

45. Please send meme grants available

Comment by Steve bennett — July 13, 2020 @ 6:22 pm

46. Does this apply in scotland and for rented property

Comment by H Fulton — July 12, 2020 @ 3:55 pm

47. I am interested in grant for replacement boiler

Comment by Chris Jones — July 12, 2020 @ 2:11 pm

48. we need help with our heating boiler

Comment by ann moyies — July 9, 2020 @ 11:05 pm

49. As always without the detail no policy is actually defined. I remember a precious incarnation of green grants that saw us get a surveyor travel several hundred miles ( ie not green) to survey and months later be told we had 10mm too Loft insulation much to qualify. Windows had to have their appalling retrofit draft exclusion which we refused as it would probably have caused us listed building issues. Let us hope that there is flexibility in this scheme and it is all not simply absorbed by over restrictive guidance or too small a group of companies that are accredited. What was wrong with simply taking VAT off green improvement products. Will boilers be included. What was wrong with actual kickstarting green infrastructure like electric car charger installations etc. I await the detail and sincerely hope our civil service has learnt from past implementation and guidance mistakes.

Comment by Andrew Snowdon — July 9, 2020 @ 6:30 pm

50. Very interested

Comment by Jim Clark — July 9, 2020 @ 3:57 pm

51. Very interested in grant, and finding out what it covers +if I’m eligible to receive it.

Comment by Jim Clark — July 9, 2020 @ 3:55 pm

52. I am interested in the Green government vouchers

Comment by David Berry — July 9, 2020 @ 2:03 pm

53. I am very interested in information around the new 2020 grant voucher from September for home energy improvements.

Comment by Suresh Patel — July 9, 2020 @ 1:19 pm

54. Please provide details of green homes grant

Comment by Alan Harrison — July 9, 2020 @ 11:45 am

55. I am very interested in information around the new 2020 grant from September for home energy

Comment by Sue — July 9, 2020 @ 11:32 am

56. does this qualify for solar panels ?

Comment by Mandy Barnes — July 9, 2020 @ 10:16 am

Looking for fee free mortgage advice?

We’ve teamed up with the UK’s leading fee-free mortgage broker to provide you with expert advice.L&C Logo✓ UK’s leading fee free mortgage broker

✓ Compare 1000s of mortgages

✓ Fully qualified advisers

Find out more >

Latest Tweets

• HomeOwners Alliance
    Would you spend just 20 minutes viewing a property that is going to be your home for many years? Some buyers do – a… https://t.co/BKaZjdIzZb

07 August 2020

• HomeOwners Alliance
    Buy-to-let investors were handed a surprise boost in the chancellor’s summer statement as tax savings from the stam… https://t.co/IptvlLf9dH

07 August 2020

×

Sign up to our FREE fortnightly newsletter

For the latest news, advice and exclusive money saving offers.