Sign up to our newsletter for the latest property news, tips & money saving offers

• Can I move during local lockdown? Read latest advice

Green Homes Grant – how they work and how to apply

Here's how the Green Homes Grant works, including latest details of which energy efficiency measures are covered, advice on which projects to undertake and how to find a tradesperson

Post updated: October 15th, 2020

Green Home Grants

In July the Chancellor announced that homeowners will be able to claim vouchers of up to £5,000 for energy-saving home improvements, with the poorest getting up to £10,000.

As part of a £2 billion Green Homes Grant announced for England, eligible homeowners will be able to use the vouchers to pay for environmentally friendly improvements.

But if you were hoping to be able to access your £5,000 voucher and spend it on the home improvements of your choice, you may be disappointed.

How will the vouchers work?

Restrictions mean that energy efficiency measures permitted under the scheme are being divided into two categories: “primary” and “secondary”.

In order to qualify for funding to cover secondary measures, home owners must first carry out one of the primary measures.

And, the amount of money offered by the government for secondary measures is capped at the amount the home owner claimed for primary improvements. So if you receive £1,000 towards primary upgrades, your grant for any secondary measures will be capped at £1,000.

How much can I get?

The government will provide a voucher that covers two-thirds of the cost of qualifying works to your home. The maximum value of the voucher is £5,000.

If you are on a low income and receive certain benefits, you can receive a voucher covering all of the cost of the improvements up to £10,000. A full list of qualifying benefits are available on the Simple Energy Advice website.

The installer will request and receive payment from the government for the costs covered by the voucher.

When can I get works done under the scheme?

You can apply for the voucher from 30 September 2020.

In the meantime, you can find out what improvements can be made to your home and obtain quotes from certified tradespeople.

You must redeem the voucher and ensure improvements are completed by 31 March 2021.

What energy efficiency measures are covered by the Green Homes Grant?

The list of primary measures are set out as:

Insulation

• Solid wall insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Under-floor insulation
  • Loft insulation
  • Flat roof insulation
  • Room in a roof insulation
  • Park home insulation

Low carbon heat (where the home is suitably insulated)

• Air source heat pump
  • Ground source heat pump
  • Solar thermal
  • Biomass pellet boilers

So long as at least one of these primary measure is in the package of works, households will also be able to install secondary measures.

The list of secondary measures include:

Windows and Doors

• Draught proofing
  • Double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazing)
  • Secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing)
  • Energy efficient replacement doors

Heating controls and insulation

• Hot-water tank thermostats
  • Hot water tank insulation
  • Heating controls (Smart heating controls, zone controls, intelligent delayed start thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves)

What home improvements should I do?

The first place to start is understanding whether your home is in need of any of the primary measures. Air source heat pumps and biomass pellet boilers are no doubt improvements most households will not have heard of, let alone understand, so these projects will need to be thoroughly researched first.

Cavity and solid wall insulation can make a significant difference to the energy efficiency and comfort of your home.  We expect these will be popular projects to undertake, alongside loft and other insulations, to stop heat leaking from your home.

Once you have identified at least 1 primary measure, your voucher can be used to help contribute to the cost of a secondary measure. Replacing single glazing or getting secondary glazing will make the most difference if you don’t already have double glazing. Please note you can’t upgrade existing double glazing under the scheme. And you can’t use the voucher to update existing insulation in your home.

And remember, the amount you get towards the cost of secondary measures cannot exceed the amount you get for primary measures.

Use the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website to get more details and check what energy efficiency or low carbon heat improvements can be made to your home.

How do I find a tradesperson and start works?

You will need to have the works done by a tradesperson registered with TrustMark or Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), who are accredited to take part in the Green Homes Grant voucher scheme.

Use the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website to find accredited tradespeople or businesses in your area that are able to undertake the work and obtain quotes from them.

You should get at least 3 quotes to make sure you are getting the best value for money.

Speak to all of them to see what home improvements they would recommend.

Once the works are agreed, vouchers can be issued from the 30th September online, so work can commence.

With most good tradespeople booked-up well in advance, we’d suggest getting on with it!

Watch out for scammers

You can’t necessarily use your local builder to install your chosen works under the Green Homes Grant scheme. You need to use firms registered with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) or Trustmark.

Within days of the government scheme being announced, homeowners started to receive scam emails and phone calls. Do not respond to unsolicited emails and calls about the scheme.

How do I apply for the Green Homes Grant

You need to take the lead in applying for the Green Homes Grant yourself, although your installer will claim the voucher. To recap, you need to:

1. Identify the qualifying projects you would like to undertake. See the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website to help you with this.
  2. Find a registered installer/installers. You can use the Simple Energy Advice (SEA) website or go to Trustmark or the MCS direct.
  3. Get a detailed quote before works start. The registered installer will need to claim the voucher for a third of the costs from government. Their quote should include this sum for transparency and you should talk about how the scheme works with them in detail so there aren’t any unexpected costs at the end.

Lower bills, lower emissions

The government said if a homeowner of a semi-detached or end-terrace installed cavity wall and floor insulation, costing around £4,000, the homeowner would pay just £1,320 – with the government paying £2,680. Doing so could save the owner over £200 annually on their bills and reduce their carbon footprint by cutting 700 kg of CO2 a year from their home alone.

The scheme aims to upgrade over 600,000 homes across England.

Better insulation could save some people £600 a year on energy bills.

Funding is only currently available until March 2021.

To be the first to hear about the scheme as it develops, sign up to our newsletter

Leave a comment (87)* Required

1. Are Listed buildings exempt? The age range of the properties in the application suggests they will not be approved although surely they are the most inefficient of most homes out there?

Comment by Alexandra Woddy — October 20, 2020 @ 4:05 pm

2. Can I apply for the ‘new’ government green homes grant by post

Comment by Colin Barker — October 19, 2020 @ 6:43 pm

3. Thanks

Comment by Salim abed — October 15, 2020 @ 2:52 pm

4. I need to improve roof im my conservatory

Comment by anne conway — October 15, 2020 @ 1:48 pm

5. Hi
    I have a conservatory roof which leaks and is extremely cold in the winter and difficult to heat. I am am looking at trying to replace it as I also use it as a bedroom and it really is unbearable. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment by Ginny Spears — October 11, 2020 @ 9:16 am

6. Great

Comment by Deepak singh — October 7, 2020 @ 1:19 am

7. There are some really stupid comments on here. Why can’t people be bothered to do their own research on the government’s site?

Comment by Paul — September 30, 2020 @ 11:16 pm

8. Hi,

We have just purchased an old cottage to which is in urgent need of roof insulation. We were hoping to take advantage of the Green Grant Scheme but unfortunately we have been notified that there is evidence of bats in the loft space.

Due to the next phase of bat assessment/survey, which is not able to take place until June, the loft space is currently rendered inaccessible to do any work and take advantage of the grant. Is there any way we can get around this as we will miss the March deadline through circumstances out of our control?

Comment by Julie — September 30, 2020 @ 9:27 pm

9. Typical government scheme not ready for use, cannot find three registered installer’s for solar power within 60 miles of where I live, again a government scheme all talk no action

Comment by Maurice Latimer — September 30, 2020 @ 3:49 pm

10. I’m a homeowner with a house with poor insulation and no working boiler. I’d like to apply for the green home grant.

Comment by Joe Marshall — September 30, 2020 @ 2:28 pm

11. I would like to apply for the green home grant. My front and back door needs replacing as I am loosing alot of heat, as it gets very draughty in doors. There is no online application form. Very confusing.

Comment by Miss Michelle M Tennant — September 28, 2020 @ 7:17 pm

12. Does it cover getting a new roof

Comment by Stephen Goode — September 28, 2020 @ 6:11 am

13. I want to apply for the green home grant I am a house owner

Comment by Rahul Rahul — September 27, 2020 @ 8:20 pm

14. Hi could you please tell me if rising damp would be covered under the primary list of improvements please?

Many thanks

Comment by Matthew Cromwell — September 18, 2020 @ 6:55 am

15. Badly need new double or triple glazed windows.
    my brother and i are on benefits, i’m a carer for him plus the roof needs re-slating is there any grants going.

Comment by Graham Stewart — September 12, 2020 @ 2:29 pm

16. I live on my own & I am on income support, do come under this government scheme I have my own home .

Comment by Pauline Heather — September 12, 2020 @ 12:19 pm

17. It seems that, from current information on the simpleenergyadvice website, in order to access the funding the work MUST be carried out by one of their approved installers.
    There appear to be very, very few of these. Entering my postcode in mid Yorkshire produces just 22 companies that are authorised to fit double glazing let alone the ones actually covered by the grants. Yes, that’s 22 in the whole of England. Seriously?
    It seems that the website is in error as it only returns results for me that are based around Leeds. There are no other companies shown for the rest of the UK but I guarantee they exist. This will make it practically impossible to obtain quotes that would be eligible for the grants. It needs sorting urgently.

Comment by Tony Parker — September 11, 2020 @ 11:18 am

18. The house that I rent to private tenants needs a new central heating do I qualified for this type of grant

Comment by Marlene Francis — September 11, 2020 @ 1:29 am

19. I need double glazing or single glazing in my flat it has only 4 windows which are in a bad way and very cold in the winter I have to put cardboard in the sides as they rattle when it is windy do you think I can maybe get some help to repair them Thanks

Comment by Janet davies — September 10, 2020 @ 9:52 pm

20. Can I claim for double glazing and exterior doors

Comment by Patsy Mcguirk — September 9, 2020 @ 1:04 pm

21. Can l replace my roof with this grant

Comment by Linda Taylor — September 8, 2020 @ 8:53 am

22. Where can a find a list of approved double glazing and insulation in my area PO189BN ? Thank you

Comment by Clare whittaker — September 7, 2020 @ 9:23 am

23. I need to replace my kitchen I hope I qualify for the grant

Comment by Fiona — September 5, 2020 @ 8:50 pm

24. Did it need 3 quotes? There is only one company in my area doing floor insulation and they want£90 to do a survey. I am worried I will pay£90 and not get the grant so not be able to claim my£90 back.

Comment by Hilary S — September 4, 2020 @ 5:23 pm

25. My single glazed wooden windows were put in in 1986.

My loft space is I.e roof height is extremely low and I question if I would be entitled to loft insulation?

Comment by Christina Carter — August 22, 2020 @ 9:35 am

26. I would like to get some of the secondary measures installed (replacement double glazing), we got some of the secondary measures installed last year (insulation).

I wonder if this previous work will allow us to qualify for the grant for the secondary measures or does the work have to all begin after September 2020?

Comment by David Kane — August 21, 2020 @ 10:05 am

27. kitchen renovation

Comment by srijana — August 19, 2020 @ 10:01 am

28. Will I be able to get a grant for my double glazed windows which are all steamed up and a door try are about 20 years old

Comment by Edna — August 18, 2020 @ 3:52 pm

29. The rendering on the outside of my home is causing damp both indoors and out. Can I get funding to help with this?

Comment by Amanda Meadows — August 14, 2020 @ 8:00 am

30. My roof leaks and does not have any felting – just tiles onto the rafters. Does the grant cover this?

Comment by Deanne — August 10, 2020 @ 3:47 pm

31. Our double glazing is completely worn out. It is aluminium and probably around 40 years old. Virtually every room has a problem with the window. One window is nearly falling off. We have it shut permanently. The list is long for other problems like not staying open or steamed up inside glazing.

Comment by Mike Barbes — August 8, 2020 @ 10:38 am

32. I a partial garage conversion already however it still has thd garage door on. This needs coming off and a window putting in. Could this comd under this scheme?

Comment by Clare — August 5, 2020 @ 11:07 pm

33. My bungalow has cavity wall insulation but it is now over 30 years ago and would like to upgrade the insulation how do I get these grants also looking at triple glazing .
    Many thanks

Comment by Hopkin — August 5, 2020 @ 8:20 pm

34. Can I apply for the grant if I live in a leasehold flat?

Comment by Maria — August 4, 2020 @ 1:22 pm

35. I wish to upgrade my windows and doors as they are really old.hope i can through the green scheme.i am a home owner

Comment by Dawn Davies — August 4, 2020 @ 12:32 pm

36. I am about to change from ducted air heating (30 year old) to radiator central heating with a Combi boiler.
    Am I able to claim a grant for this work?

Comment by Dave — July 29, 2020 @ 8:51 pm

37. Excellent content need to know more about eligibility and replacing my roof

Comment by Martin Davies — July 28, 2020 @ 8:44 pm

38. I live in a rented property and windows were replaced but front door porch doors and back door were not would my landlady be eligible under new grant commencing september to replace all?

Comment by Sheila Kennedy — July 25, 2020 @ 11:12 am

39. I am 88yrs live alone, My conservatory is also my dining room the roof reaks a little and is very cold in winter could I get a grant for replacement?

Comment by V Maggs — July 24, 2020 @ 4:23 pm

40. Can I use the green grant scheme on a new bathroom

Comment by Carol — July 23, 2020 @ 10:43 pm

41. Hi Millie,
    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Please sign up to our newsletter to receive further details as they are released from the government. You will also have a chance to win £50 in John Lewis vouchers.
    Paula

Comment by Paula — July 22, 2020 @ 5:15 pm

42. Im 80 and live alobe.
    Double glazing now over 30 years old and draughty, skylights no longer close properly..
    Roof needs attention

Am I eligible please? Would like to receive details of Green Home please. Thanks

Comment by Millie — July 22, 2020 @ 5:11 pm

43. How do we become accredited installers ? Is this yet another scheme that allows only big firms to gain business leaving all small local firms left with no work and end up just getting boiler servicing in the future as the larger firms do not come back.

Comment by Audrey Yearnshire — July 22, 2020 @ 4:53 pm

44. Useful doc

Comment by Sonia Henningham — July 22, 2020 @ 4:31 pm

45. I like alot of people want an upgrade for Windows and doors I do hope it comes with no strings attached I have had a local firm come to get an estimate just in case

Comment by Mrs Joan higton — July 22, 2020 @ 9:45 am

46. Double glazing now very old and draughty, also repairs needed to roof. Would like to receive details of Green Home Scheme when available.

Comment by Velda Carter — July 21, 2020 @ 6:47 pm

47. We are selfemployed market traders will we be able to get help to replace our front and back door has they are both in need of repair thanks

Comment by Julie — July 20, 2020 @ 10:54 pm

48. Can the grant be used on listed buildings?

Comment by Louise — July 20, 2020 @ 8:51 pm

49. JoeA,
    At the moment the scheme is only for England, but please sign up to our newsletter to keep on top of the latest developments.
    Paula

Comment by Paula — July 22, 2020 @ 5:22 pm

50. Will this grant be available in Scotland?
    We replaced some double glazing two years ago as we could not afford all windows.
    We are both over 70 and wondered if any age related grants are available.
    Many thanks.

Comment by joeA — July 20, 2020 @ 6:59 pm

51. My conservatory is our dining room and the roof leaks and needs replacing. I have been unable to obtain a loan for the £7500 cost of replacing it and am worried about it surviving another winter. Will I be able to apply for a grant to replace it. I am on a low income furlough of £100 per week.

Comment by Trudi Sohngen — July 17, 2020 @ 11:13 pm

52. Does grant include wales?

Comment by Su — July 17, 2020 @ 6:25 pm

53. my double gaze window and door are 15 yer old. Looks not working. Drought are coming everywhere. Wish to replace it.

Comment by Dalsukhbhai chauhan — July 17, 2020 @ 5:59 pm

54. Interested in a boiler grant ours is 21 years old

Comment by G Spicer — July 17, 2020 @ 4:04 pm

55. Would this grant cover roof replacement. Member of family on disability benefits

Comment by Alan Swanson — July 17, 2020 @ 3:59 pm

56. Can I get Vouchers for two exterior double glazed doors I am having installed next week. Boiler is 12 years old and needs replacing.

Comment by Ms. Morris — July 17, 2020 @ 3:51 pm

57. Hi i have lived in my house for 35 years, my roofing is leaking can i get a grant to get it fixed, i am scared that the roof will collapse, i am not working at the momoment because of the pendamic, any help i could get please

Comment by Malik — July 16, 2020 @ 3:20 pm

58. How as a home improvements company do you become a green home grant accredited installer?

Comment by Jackie — July 16, 2020 @ 12:20 pm

59. I’m nearly living here over 15 years I have to improve my property

Comment by Paramasivam suyenthiraraj — July 16, 2020 @ 10:42 am

60. Dose this include pensioner

Comment by MRS Curley — July 16, 2020 @ 10:37 am

61. Can I claim the voucher back if I’ve had work done this year already ie a back payment?

Comment by Emma — July 15, 2020 @ 10:32 pm

62. Would we qualify for a boiler, ours is 22 years old?

Comment by Julie Bowling — July 15, 2020 @ 8:21 pm

63. My house needs double glazing including doors. It will help on energy cost. I have had cavity wall and loft insolation plus a smart metre installed. Also it will improve on safety as my widows are dangerous

Comment by June Forde — July 15, 2020 @ 8:06 pm

64. We have lived in our current home for over 11 years and we required to make improvement to our property to accomdated our needs

Comment by Yared Fessahaye — July 15, 2020 @ 3:21 pm

65. I am very interested in cavity wall insulation and possible double glazed windows improvements

Comment by Christine Lambert — July 15, 2020 @ 2:15 pm

66. Does the grant cover solar panels.

Comment by Christine — July 15, 2020 @ 1:57 pm

67. We all hope the details will be announced well in advance to allow people time to prepare. Last time around the property had to have an EPC less than a year old confirmimg what energy saving measures the property needs and the “grant” was actually a cashback so homeowners had to be able to fund the whole cost themselves then get the cash back. So this time around we need a simpler and better consumer focused process.

Comment by Michael Dinmore — July 15, 2020 @ 1:05 pm

68. How as a double glazing company do you become a green home grant accredited installer?

Comment by Launa Austin — July 15, 2020 @ 11:14 am

69. Very interested. Help needed before the winter.

Comment by Elizabeth Williams — July 15, 2020 @ 12:37 am

70. Interested in replacing 40 years old double glazing which is now far fromdraught proof.

Comment by Elizabeth Williams — July 15, 2020 @ 12:34 am

71. Does the grant cover Wales?

Comment by James Hayes — July 14, 2020 @ 9:54 pm

72. Can an individual claim the voucher if the work has been ordered and/or already carried out? As a back payment.

Comment by bc — July 14, 2020 @ 6:02 pm

73. Interested in boiler grant ours is 15 years old

Comment by Scott — July 14, 2020 @ 5:40 pm

74. Does the grant include solar panels?

Comment by Jason Scott — July 14, 2020 @ 4:34 pm

75. I need help for windows and central heating.

Comment by Stuart — July 14, 2020 @ 11:28 am

76. Please send meme grants available

Comment by Steve bennett — July 13, 2020 @ 6:22 pm

77. Does this apply in scotland and for rented property

Comment by H Fulton — July 12, 2020 @ 3:55 pm

78. I am interested in grant for replacement boiler

Comment by Chris Jones — July 12, 2020 @ 2:11 pm

79. we need help with our heating boiler

Comment by ann moyies — July 9, 2020 @ 11:05 pm

80. As always without the detail no policy is actually defined. I remember a precious incarnation of green grants that saw us get a surveyor travel several hundred miles ( ie not green) to survey and months later be told we had 10mm too Loft insulation much to qualify. Windows had to have their appalling retrofit draft exclusion which we refused as it would probably have caused us listed building issues. Let us hope that there is flexibility in this scheme and it is all not simply absorbed by over restrictive guidance or too small a group of companies that are accredited. What was wrong with simply taking VAT off green improvement products. Will boilers be included. What was wrong with actual kickstarting green infrastructure like electric car charger installations etc. I await the detail and sincerely hope our civil service has learnt from past implementation and guidance mistakes.

Comment by Andrew Snowdon — July 9, 2020 @ 6:30 pm

81. Very interested

Comment by Jim Clark — July 9, 2020 @ 3:57 pm

82. Very interested in grant, and finding out what it covers +if I’m eligible to receive it.

Comment by Jim Clark — July 9, 2020 @ 3:55 pm

83. I am interested in the Green government vouchers

Comment by David Berry — July 9, 2020 @ 2:03 pm

84. I am very interested in information around the new 2020 grant voucher from September for home energy improvements.

Comment by Suresh Patel — July 9, 2020 @ 1:19 pm

85. Please provide details of green homes grant

Comment by Alan Harrison — July 9, 2020 @ 11:45 am

86. I am very interested in information around the new 2020 grant from September for home energy

Comment by Sue — July 9, 2020 @ 11:32 am

87. does this qualify for solar panels ?

Comment by Mandy Barnes — July 9, 2020 @ 10:16 am

Looking for fee free mortgage advice?

We’ve teamed up with the UK’s leading fee-free mortgage broker to provide you with expert advice.L&C Logo✓ UK’s leading fee free mortgage broker

✓ Compare 1000s of mortgages

✓ Fully qualified advisers

Find out more >

Latest Tweets

• HomeOwners Alliance
    Don't forget to sign up to our newsletter this month for you chance to win £50 of John Lewis vouchers. With their… https://t.co/dE6XgcK9ZG

26 October 2020

• HomeOwners Alliance
    Whether you're buying your first home, you're a home mover or buying a second property, work out what stamp duty yo… https://t.co/1XFus2pg6j

26 October 2020

close popup ×

Make the most of your home this Autumn.

Sign up to our free newsletter this October for your chance to win a £50 John Lewis voucher. With their extensive home and garden collections you'll be spoilt for choice. For the latest news, advice and exclusive money saving offers.

Prize draw to win voucher offer ends 31st October 2020.
Read our privacy policy