How to find the right removals company
Moving home can be stressful enough without having to worry about the company moving your furniture and prized possessions! Read our guide to help you find the right removals company for you.
Why do I need a removals company?
Packing up boxes is one thing, but lugging them up and down stairs and in and out of vans is extremely exhausting. If you have a lot to move, valuable items, such as antiques, or large, awkward pieces like a piano, it might be best to leave it to the professionals. Plus, it will give you more time to focus on all the other aspects of moving. Our guide will help you find the right removals company.
Top tips to find the right removals company
Before you start calling companies for quotes, there are a few things to consider:
- Is the company a member of either the BAR (British Association of Removers) or PMA (Professional Movers Association)? These are the closest thing to a governing body for removal companies in the UK.
- Search for independent reviews of the removals companies you’re looking at
- Read the testimonials on the company’s website
- Look at their ‘about us’ section for trading history and longevity
- Look at the photos for an indication to truck size and condition, warehouse facilities etc.
- Ask any local friends if they have used them and what was good and bad about their experience
Get removals quotes
- Make sure that you get several professional removals quotations well in advance of any proposed completion date. Take into account the price, the service you’ll receive and when the company can conduct the move.
- Some removals companies offer an additional packing service – consider if this would be useful to you
- Only consider removals companies if they are prepared to perform a visual survey prior to a written quotation – it is impossible for them to estimate and plan a removal without seeing it first-hand.
- When they visit the property run through everything – will they dismantle furniture that won’t fit through doors? Do you have a loft full of boxes? Make sure they include it in the quote.
- Make sure the removals company know the vehicular access to your property. The last thing you want is a very large vehicle arriving only to find it can’t get within 500 metres of the property
Savvy questions to ask
When talking to a representative of your chosen removals company, there are some other questions you can ask about the business to ascertain whether they are a quality company or not:
- How long have both you as an individual and your company been in business?
- How much notice do I need to give if I were to book? (especially in the summer months)
- Does your quote include insurance? Most companies provide you with moving insurance against loss or breakages of your property while it’s in transit. Make sure this is the case before booking. Also ask what are the individual item thresholds and total loss limits? (Usually £10,000 individual item and £50,000 total loss for a proper removals policy)
- How many members of staff will be here on the given moving days?
- Can they provide you with a written move schedule? e.g Day 1 – Pack and Load, Day 2 – Load and Deliver etc
- Is the quoted price the final price? If the estimator has underestimated your volume, you’ll want to clarify this to avoid additional charges
- Do you provide a free cleaning service at either end?
Make sure you have a good rapport with the removals company as it will make the transition as smooth and painless as possible.
The HomeOwners Alliance provides members with advice on buying, selling and owning their homes. To see how we can help, find out more about the benefits of joining the HomeOwners Alliance.