HomeOwners Alliance logo

Sign up to our newsletter for the latest property news, tips & money saving offers

  • Looking to buy a new home? Start here

How to raise a complaint against your Electricity and Gas Supplier

If you've experienced poor service from your energy supplier, you may wish to file a complaint. Here are three simple steps to guide you through the process.

What to watch for in estate agent contracts

Step 1: Contact your supplier

  • Make it clear that you wish to raise a complaint. All suppliers are now obligated to have a standard complaints procedure which they have to follow or they face penalties from OFGEM.
  • Explain to your supplier what the exact problem is. They can only help you once they know what is wrong in the first place.
  • Have your latest bill to hand. This will hold key information which your supplier may ask for.
  • Taking notes of the complaint reference number, time, dates and to whom you spoke to will make your complaint easier to trace and follow up. This also provides accountability for those who have assisted you through the procedure.

Step 2: Escalate the complaint

If you are not happy with the way your complaint has been dealt with, the supplier can escalate the complaint to a more senior/specialist representative. If this is not possible then ask the member of staff that you wish for them to make a note on your account in their system that the dispute has not been resolved, and for them to arrange for a senior representative to call you back.

Step 3: Independent review

If your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, or find yourself in a deadlock situation with your supplier then we would advise you to bring your case forward to Citizens Advice Bureau or the Energy Ombudsman.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
close popup ×

Before   you go...

If you found this website useful, could you spare a minute to leave us a review?