HomeOwners Alliance logo

Sign up to our newsletter for the latest property news, tips & money saving offers

  • Selling up? Step by Step Guide to SellingRead More

How should I deal with noisy neighbours?

Unless you live in splendid rural isolation, neighbours are part of life in this crowded isle. People are more likely to have disputes with their neighbours than anyone else, and of those disputes the most common cause is noise. Noisy neighbours can make many people’s homes feel uninhabitable. Legal redress is available, but should be treated as a last resort.

How to deal with noisy neighbours


Talk to your neighbours

It sounds like a cliché, but it’s usually good to talk to your neighbours. One in three people have found that this has solved any problems immediately. Surprisingly often, people do not even realise they are being annoying and few people are totally uncaring about those around them; most are just unaware.


It’s all about timing. For example, it may well be counterproductive to approach them in the middle of a party when they are drunk. It might be better to catch them in a public area and talking to them there, or over the garden fence, instead of awkwardly knocking on their door.


  • With most people, being calm and reasonable gets better results than being confrontational. You have the moral high ground; make sure you keep it.
  • When you approach them, it is a good idea to have three examples of when they were excessively noisy to hand, complete with dates. Tell them too how the noise affected you, but don’t be accusatory. Rather than saying, “you kept me awake”, tell them, “I could not sleep because of the noise that night.”
  • You should also specifically tell them how you would like the problem solved. For example, you might ask them not to practice on their drums after 10pm, or you might ask that next time they have a big party they give you some forewarning so you can make other plans accordingly
  • If you feel unsafe you should approach your neighbours with a friend or family member

Get the council involved

  • If you have talked to your neighbour and they are still making noise you might consider getting the local authority involved. Be aware that getting the council involved will raise tensions and the dispute might get out of proportion because your neighbours could ultimately end up in court. You should also be aware that any official noisy neighbour complaints will go on record and may make it harder for you to sell your house
  • After you complain the council will send your neighbour a letter telling them that people have complained. They will not say who has complained.
  • At the same time, you will be asked to fill out a “noise diary” which logs the time and place you heard the noise and from where it came. Most importantly, the council wants to see how the noise is affecting you. The council will use your noise diary to establish a method of investigating. This might depend on you phoning somebody up who will come round to hear the noise or they might install noise monitoring equipment
  • If the noise does not stop after they have warned your neighbours, then the council might suggest mediation (see below). If that does not work, or if the council decides mediation is not a constructive route forward, they might take other, official, action
  • If the council agrees with you, and the noise is a deemed a “statutory nuisance” (ie that it is a nuisance under law), they can issue an “abatement notice” which tells your neighbour that unless they stop they will be prosecuted and might end up with a fine of £5,000 for domestic premises and £20,000 for industrial or commercial premises. If the council follows this process, it can take some time, because the council has to establish how much of a nuisance your neighbours are being without living with you all the time

How to sound proof your rooms and home

Here are a few options to help you reduce the amount of outside noise coming through into your home:

  • Check your doors. Check your internal doors are solid rather than hollow as this can be a great barrier to sound. Draught proof your front door, as well as internal doors to stop sound coming through.
  • Fix holes and gaps in walls. Fill any holes or gaps around window frames, ventilation grates, and electrical sockets.
  • Updating to double glazing. An expensive option but one which can make a huge difference to how much external noise enters your home
  • Dampen sounds with fabric. Heavy curtains can make a significant difference to how much sound travels into you home particularly at night. Double glazed windows, lined with plantation shutters and dressed with thick curtains is the ideal. Thick carpet and rugs will help limit sound travelling up from downstairs and also muffle your footsteps for your neighbours.
  • Insulate your walls with sound proofing. Depending on where the main source of external noise is coming from you may consider soundproofing the party wall (the wall adjoining you and your neighbours home) or whole rooms including walls, floors and ceilings.

Find a domestic sound proofing firm near you to discuss possible solutions and costs using our online finder tool powered by Checkatrade. Simply type in “sound proofing” to the drop down box and postcode to find someone you can talk to about sound proofing your home.

Taking part in mediation

Sound proofing aside, if you have talked to your neighbours and nothing you say seems to work, another route the council might recommend is mediation. Mediation can be a particularly good choice if you have completely fallen out with your neighbours or if you are in other disputes with them.

Mediation involves the following:

  • A professionally trained mediator will set up a meeting with you and your neighbour
  • The meeting will often be at a neutral location
  • The aim is to help your neighbour understand your point of view, and vice versa
  • Mediators will also suggest specific compromises and ways to remedy the problem
  • Mediation is government funded but does not involve the law
  • Mediation is free, and is often successful
  • However, it is voluntary so your neighbour will have to want to go

Taking your neighbour to court

  • If the council decides not to intervene you can take your neighbours to court
  • You must have tried to deal with the problem in all other ways before doing this
  • If you decide you would like to take your neighbours to court you should seek legal advice from a lawyer


If the neighbour is a leaseholder, they may well be in breach of a clause in their lease about not disturbing neighbours with noise. If you are in a flat, and it is the floorboards that are the problem, check the lease because there may be a clause that says that suitable floor covering must be in place.

Some leases say that the leaseholders must not make noise audible outside their property at certain times (such as between 11pm and 7am). Leases sometimes also ban pets (if it is a barking dog that is the problem) and musical instruments.

If you complain to the freeholder (from whom the leaseholder leases the property), they can issue a warning or start legal proceedings against the leaseholder for breaching their lease. Because they could potentially lose their property, this can be a very effective way of making your neighbours take noise seriously.

Leave a comment (93)* Required

  1. Sara bakerSara baker

    My neighbours are constantly slaming doors every day all day, it’s got to a point that I’m jumping out of my skin everytime. I banged on wall and I got rewarded with him banging on my door then screaming at me swearing and it’s none of my business and they will bang their doors as much as they like. Then threatening me This has been going on for over a year and the council do nothing. I am on my own and not well. I feel like I want to end it all

  2. Manuel GarciaManuel Garcia

    Hi guys , i live in a keyworker site run by a housing association , the problem i have is the NHS keep housing overseas workers temporarily on my floor in the 2 flats they rent from the association , the people that stay there always make such loud rackets , have had fire alarms go off at 4am as these idiots dont know how to ventilate when cooking and always constantly on their phones speaking loud in foreign language , i am foreigner myself came here from Spain for a better life but it has been made hell by these people , my neighbours have also complained about the noise but the association says they have no power to stop these people , so have had to go to local council , hopefully in the new year the current workers will go as the noise is too much for me, having to wear ear plugs every night is not nice.

  3. Mary HeywoodMary Heywood

    My neighbour has been problem since moving in. We have been to mediation and she walked out. The council keep sending ASBO’s and it makes no difference. There is often a strong cannabis stink coming from their home. People should have an easy route to get these people out. her landlord thinks she is nice because her rent, paid for by the tax payer, is paid on time. She does b***r all for a living and neither do her dead end family. They should be shipped off to an island somewhere, so they can all live together in their own trashed up world.

  4. Alexandra HuttonAlexandra Hutton

    My next door neighbour has her noisy friend staying on and off for weeks,she is very vocal had enough of them,what can l do.

  5. shamma azmishamma azmi

    We moved into a ground floor apartment in Isle of Dogs and our neighbour upstairs started doing some renovation in their apartment. I’m completely fine with them doing work during the day but am getting increasingly frustrated at their clattering and hammering at night. It’s now 1:35 am and I’m at my wits end because the loud noise is keeping my son up at night and he’s only a 1 year old toddler.

  6. TeaTea

    Having problems with the new couple upstairs flat, ive lived my my ground floor council flat 18 years never once had a problem with uosatirs 2 year ago couple moved in, landlords daughter and boyfriend, after a few months i asked her nicely could she please try and not stomp so hard when she walks, bare in mind i got concrete ceilings between us, ive heard the odd foot step from prevous tenants living up there but nothing like this, she said sorry she was a heavey walker, i even asked her is there carpet or laminate up there which she replyed carpet, (bs) everytime they drop something makes a hell of a bang, now they have taken all the blinds down off the windows and the noise has got 100 times louder, i hear them talking phones vibrating music drives me mad, and even them having sex above me in their living room, now ive have asked them so many times to stop with the constant door slamming music, stomping sounds like the laminate is thumbing against the contrete flooring dont think theres proper underlay under it, contanstant dragging of furniture, her farther bought the flat back in 2013 which i know is leasehold, and he’s rented it out ever since, even spoke to him about the noise and he has done nothing about it, he just keeps telling them to carry on because the ceiling are concrete the flats are sound proof which they are not, even hear the boyfrind everyday coughing his guts up , told them am contacting the council to montoir the noise as i cant live like this anymore he told me to carry on council cant do anything its classed as everyday living noise, which it is from from, put up with everyday noise which i have done for the last 18 years but this seems to be done on purpose, who slams a door 11 times in a space of 35 minutes, surely there got to be something in the leasehold agreement about carpet and noise when he bought it

  7. JenJen

    I’m having problems with my upstairs neighbours having loud sex at early hour of the morning.. Can the council help

  8. Janino majavieJanino majavie

    Good we are living in eastridge Mitchells Plain for three year now our opposite neighbors makes so much noise sitting infront of our house drinking with friends smoking weed with friends always fighting after drinking they live directly opposite our house they come out of there house walk across to our house infront of our gate they situation is always different the last time it was so bad they were drinking with my neighbors then there was a disagreement the daughter of Mr January and there messed up friend in
    dassie street eastridge I have told my wife we must move but why should we the mother that drink with the baby on there arms sitting right infront of our house we have a new born baby he is now 11 months old what can we do about this matter please help

  9. JemmaJemma

    I have never had problems with my neighbour but since the new ones have moved in they keep on banging on our wall. all the time I don’t know if it’s the kids all the adults but They have a big problem with us not being rude or nothing but I think the races. it is a Indian couple and once I asked if they had a package and they were swearing at me so.I can’t really talk to them I just don’t understand why they keep on knocking on our wall every day is it a religious thing. I don’t no. And we live in the flat and they won’t enter until we go in first. is it religious thing you tell me. ?? And once we were going down an alley and the man stopped and stared at us and wouldn’t move so we had to walk past him and he was trying to intimidate me but I just carried on and ignored him. me and my sister don’t know what to do we have not done anything to these people so I don’t understand.

  10. SionSion

    Hello, Me and my parents have been living in this old flat for 8 years and since then there was a Chinese couple and a baby but then they moved and a new tenant moved in (A single mum and daughter) its been about 2-3 years. From the first day they moved in, this women keeps banging on the ceilings, walls screaming at us to shut up just because we talked, sneezed, laughed. We don’t even say anything loudly or use speakers that would affect the neighbours. There were times where we had no choice but to clean and we would try not to do it late but she would still complain about it. I live in the top floor with my parents and its not easy to live in an old flat where you can nearly hear every conversation – but this women acts as if she is the victim and tells us what to do. Its not a hotel and my parents pay rent and tax so she has no right to say to us what to do. This keeps happening and my anxiety is getting worse whenever I hear something loud or something upsets me. This women even said she was going to call the social services because she was “concerned” about me because she could hear crying at night and says its my parents fault. I don’t know what to do to stop this.

  11. Malik FSaeedMalik FSaeed

    Please help me to find professional lawyer deals with leashold flats noise issue on no win no fee basis also kindly

  12. Anna LeaAnna Lea

    I have menieres the neighbours have had something on gave me ear pain stress anxiety depression suicidal thoughts went on mri scanner nothing sinister but hounded by police they slandered my name saying I have dementia no I don’t they believed neighbours came round with dementia matron paramedics couldn’t do ecg. Black print out. Interference vibrations upstairs the police man gave me a notice to attend court. I paid £1.200 fr criminal lawyer. He said plead guilty so I ended up getting restraining order 2 years and £289 to the court. Notes I put through neighbours door weren’t malicious so I was told by neighbours to bugger off enviromental health used wrong equipment last year it’s low frequency 29-39 decibels. They came up with road noise paramedics said ring the police I did 2:50 early hours a pc said they had never said it print out black My husband fell twice but manageing agent said they don’t have anything upstairs my son-in-law and others heard it why do people lie the police think I carnt cope with husband 81 and Parkinson’s I can but then they think I take it out on neighbours not true. When you get neighbours who moved because of noisy neighbours and please themselves what they do day or night never any lights on audiologist said electrical transformer converter flats not sound proofed. It’s wrong enviromental health officer said no road. Noise in our flat I truly believe it’s jealousy. Plus. Stupid May god forgive them

  13. Jen mcgannanJen mcgannan

    Hi just listing a few problems with my neighbour
    Flooded with sewage 3 times
    Built a 30ft brick building on a patio with no footings taken walls down,chimney breasts down
    Banging and drilling at all hours from 8 till whenever 7 days a week.they have no planning permission and they have been refused entry to there house twice. Taken part of Chinbrook meadows and turned it into a garden taken the front kerb out lewisham council are not interested shame on them they have a disabled child in the house I know what the constant noise is doing to me so what is that poor little child going through.I was told by planning if I was worried look out for cracks in your walls and phone a surveyor. Do I have to wait till they damage my house before anyone will help. What’s the point of having a planning and building works department if they can’t do anything about unauthorised builds. Are the councils just too lazy to do the jobs they get paid for what’s the point of them when people can just do what they want

  14. Mark PygallMark Pygall

    Loud druggies playing loud music below me need advice

  15. AleksandrAleksandr

    Hi my name is Alex my neighbours start job at 04.00 or 05.00am it’s down to me it’s organic Caffè shop langley Moor dh78jw can help please

  16. Catherine DockertyCatherine Dockerty

    Recently a refugee family with three young kids have moved below my council flat the noise is horrendous constantly banging day and night can work awakening nights due to sleeping through the day unable to sleep at night as the kids have no bed time and making noise till after 1 o’clock in the morning I have had a word them also council have been round to see them. It has made things worse as they are noiser now and took no notice the life is hell having to pack in work. The council are not bothered as they can’t do anything about so am expected to live with the constant noise that is making me ill any advice

  17. Erica westwellErica westwell

    I can’t sleep it’s not fair , shes in private rent and am shattered

  18. toufik boukaoulatoufik boukaoula

    Hi please i need halp becoouse my neigtbours to noisy music

  19. LisamarieLisamarie

    We are having problems with new hillbilly neighbours who use their garden as an outdoor pub with loud music every weekend through the night. The police won’t come out and after complaining to the council they sent an officer out to the property who actually then told us they seem like nice people! You live by them then. If no one will help you, you either suffer mentally or take revenge, then you are the ones who get in trouble. Why don’t the police or council actually do something and help us out for once, they’re a total joke.

  20. AmerAmer

    I have 4 households at the back off my garden, all Romanion and since the last 2 years they all moved in one after the other and have made my life hell. It started off with noise; partys that go on 24 hours and even into the weekdays. Then it became everyday, morning till night they are in the garden, playing loud music, talking on the phone. No other family behaves like this but they think they are superior to everyone and they run the neighborhood when they came here last. I called them out and have lost my cool which made them hack my phone and ipad, on top off it they constantly make homophobic slurs at me and have no fear off police or council. When I exhausted all resources I retaliated in anger and said hurtful things back as they know what upsets me so I thought tit for tat, I can’t take it any more. My mental health, confidence all is affected. I feel like I’ve gone back to those 7 years I was closeted and dealing with it all. I was finally free and now cannot be in peace in my neighborhood. One off them stopped me in the Londis down the road and sarcastically said “Oh, I know you, I’ve see your videos” They gained access from one household and spread it to the other Romanion neighbours to look at my intimate videos with partners and pictures. I changed passwords, even my hub and yet they still bully me, abuse me and spin it back to me and say im rascist. I have to defend my self at all costs so I will say hurtful things back to shut them up. Now all those 4 houses at back off my garden on 51-55 Compton Avenue gang up and tell me Im crazy, I deserve it and its my punishment. Every area in newham you go to you hear them, scream, shout, music, trains. They have no respect or care for anyone elses life or culture only they can have fun and be loud and party non stop. I work from home and have been confined to my room due to lack off work and I can watch or do what I like in my privacy as long as it doesn’t harm anyone else. Police and Council don’t do anything and thing Im delusional and say close your window and lack off evidence doesn’t help. I try to record or catch them but they go quite once they notice me from my room or garden. I am so fed up and wish I never existed. Noone helps or supports all neighbours are scared because they don’t want to be hacked and also alot in my area are homophobic so they say I should kill myself. Why should I!

  21. FrankFrank

    I have 15 crazy Romanians living next door in a 3 bedroom house. They don’t speak English other than 5 words one being off. They hammer on the walls through the night scaring the kids, moving furniture through the night. Shouting and loud music is common place. I’ve complained to the letting agency but they have never taken action. What can I do, there is no reasoning with them.

  22. Mareah goodyMareah goody

    I am scared to own garden because of next doors dog jumps up the fence aggressively i get abused woth foul language i have tried to talk to them i was told to F off there is mutiple people there and im not sure who the actual tenent is the music is so loud it vibrates my wall between us i also have had eggs trown at my windows after i have tried to talk to.them i suffer from numerous medical problems and its starting now to affect my health your help with thiis will be much appreciated

  23. JdJd

    The author of this article hasn’t got a clue how difficult it is in reality. The really loud neighbours don’t give a damn what you say because they already know how much of a nuisance they are.

  24. Noemi Erinna VaralliNoemi Erinna Varalli

    Hi my neighbours above me keep banging upstairs and moving furniture all times of night, and feels like they are going to come threw my celling constantly,I have reported them several times, they always start at night when, me and my kids are trying to.relax and putting my kids to bed this is unacceptable as my kids need there sleep, also during the week always at night, slamming doors banging about upstairs.

  25. Emma BordenAndrewsandrewsEmma BordenAndrewsandrews

    Neighbours calling me whore. Late night gatherings refuse to accept not a prostitute. Call ugly other abuse.drunk.abusidive. causing distress refuses to accept my name is Emma.offenice..belittling. I am Emma pgce. Director script writer. Designer. I can prove it.

  26. James thomasJames thomas

    Living with parent who has medical issues which is colitis large bowel removed stoma hernia’s and kidney issues I am an unofficial career.

    Been Having a problem with a neighbour for over five years now started smelling cannabis within my fathers home since 2017 one other neighbour on street has also reported smell of cannabis and felt vibration from surround sound in home.

    I moved out April 2018 due to smell of cannabis moved back in December 2018 due to anti social behaviour issues with regards to other property’s.

    Neighbours sister came round to my fathers property and asked if we had reported neighbour for smoking cannabis around child father said don’t know but will have a word with my son which he stated to neighbours sister. This was in January 2019 the next day neighbours sister came round once again and father stated yes to neighbours sister she started getting abusive and made a threat that her father or husband was going to assault me through my father said as he was angry go and get your husband or father to assault my son while I have a broken arm he fell over in bedroom while moving furniture as he got angry with sister coming round threatening he broke his elbow and twisted his ankle on a loose floor board which landlord did not fasten down correctly.

    Police started contacting me in 2017 on my mobile made a threat was going to arrest me for wasting police time.

    Had further visits from police making threats for wasting police in 2019 also one of the police officers from area team who was backing problem neighbour who made false allegations unofficially visited my fathers property management in Rochdale tried getting me evicted and had no permission to cross boarder from west yorkshire letting business belongs to a solicitor and he pointed this out to this police officer who identified them selves as west Yorkshire police and did not give a name when in the property management company which an employee informed my father when collecting rent at our home address.

    I was assaulted by neighbours father on 30th July 2019 when walking up road after getting dropped of by work colleague at bottom of street neighbours father put a counterclaim in for assault I rang the operator gave my new name as I changed by deed poll.

    On 8th August 2019 same police officers who had been harassing me and my father due to neighbours false allegations came once again threatening me for wasting police time and had no regard that I had been assaulted by neighbours father.

    Made a complaint to professional standards that I had not heard anything with regards to assault in which occurred in July 2019.

    On the 28th August 2019 was asked to go to police station to give a voluntary interview when giving statement felt like police officer did not believe me informed her I changed my name by deed poll.

    Some time in September 2019 police officer who intervied me came to my home address father and uncle was present and she made a threat at front door if I did not sign the adult community resolution order said I would have to go for second voluntary interview and may get arrested for affray noticed that my previous name was on order and informed the officer she had got my name wrong.

    Had further visits after this incident and further threats of being arrested for wasting police time police officers who were harassing us also stated on numerous occasions that the neighbour was a single parent when she lives with common law partner full time.

    There was an incident which occurred in March 2020 when covid 19 had just come in and we were in full lockdown next door neighbours boy friend was doing some house work removed paint from house did not inform my father to ask him to move his vehicle he pressure washed old paint off house and it went all over fathers vehicle and into our garden my father went and asked him to clean mess up and he refused. Started getting aggressive with my father and father stated if you do not clean it up you will get it back in your garden neighbours boyfriend started shouting at my father and said you tried getting my child took off me. He then came back later cleaned the mess up and father stated to female neighbour tell Mathew thank you which is name of neighbours boyfriend.

    Made further reports to smell of cannabis in fathers home on the 23rd April 2020 same police officer who had been harassing me and my father due to neighbours false allegations when I was at work demanded me and my father to go police station on the 29th April 2020 and putting our lives at risk due to covid solicitor stated could have dealt with it at home.

    Police officers of whom I made complaints about were conducting the voluntary interview were both aggressive towards me and my father during our interviews police officer stated to me that neighbour over heard an argument that my father was going to knee cap her father and he was not arguing was talking about a film with my uncle. We both terminated interviews as officers who were harassing us made us angry with smug looks and attitudes.

    30th April 2020 police officer who was harassing us drove past slowly looking up at our bedroom windows neighbour made a false allegation that we were harassing her with a camera which was fitted in my bedroom window and it was a dummy camera.

    In may 2020 same police officer who was harassing us came to our home tried issuing an harassment warning which we refused to sign was being aggressive. I said just one moment while I go get my camera so I can film you and he got aggressive and said I want to have a word with you about this camera. He started threatening to seize our computers and I said you cannot seize our computers with out a warrant and said would get in touch with internet provider to see what we had been looking at.

    Fathers letting agent in Rochdale and landlord received harassment warning for our address and police officer tried getting me and father evicted Through covid pandemic it stated on letter that me and my father had harassed neighbour and the whole street. Father has spoken with neighbours on street and said do not feel harassed by us and also stated to my father that the neighbour has been spreading rumours that we had harassed her and done this and that to her when it has not been proven by police.

    Had further incidents of cannabis grows and smells of cannabis in home father made reports which was ignored by police letting agent has smelt cannabis and relatives have smelt cannabis in our home mot tester has a business over road who owns a house on street has also smelt cannabis in his house what he owns which is currently empty and due for repairs.

    On 16th August 2020 had an issue which was caused by neighbour and still is causing it using a surround sound system to disturb our sleep which is causing floors in our house to vibrate in early hours neighbours boyfriend keeps turning it on I early hours when going to bed. Father went round to have a polite word with neighbours boyfriend because he is more rational than the female neighbour is followed advice on Bradford council website. Neighbours boyfriend was hiding in house and female neighbour started shouting at my father I am in my house on my own which was a lie and my father could tell she was lying when argument got heated neighbours mother came out of property and father walked away into our garden I saw neighbours mother move to our front gate and thought she was going to assault my father so went down stairs I was angry neighbour said come on then dare you to come out side and hit me father told me to go upstairs calm down and have a cigarette which I did I called police. Neighbours sister came to the house and claimed that she saw the whole incident when she did not and stated to police she come to collect child this was through covid and supposed to be social distancing from each other.

    Police came to our home and said would come back to us neighbour made false allegations that I was out in garden landlady of pub parry lane tavern witnessed whole incident and told police this. Police asked if we would go for voluntary interview and my father refused police threatened if we did not go would arrest us father made police arrest him as he was fed up with threats from previous officers his illness is a stress related he has never been arrested in his whole life held in nelson street police station for 5 hours released with out charge custody sargent was not happy that my father had been arrested due to his illness and was going to call custody nurse and said to police officers could have dealt with it at home and called sargent at javelin house police station.

    Received a threat from a male wont be in house long which was coming from neighbours property and they were allegedly away on holiday which they told police father stated to police when criminal damaged occurred not supposed to be on holiday through covid lockdown this was all through covid father saw neighbour and mother driving up street parsonage road which leads to Sutton estate when dropping birthday card of for uncle.

    30th August 2020 father received criminal damage to vehicle broken windscreen crime number received an unknown police officer threatened landlord preventing him from renting house out.

    Neighbours father made a threat from parry lane tavern and landlords son banned neighbours father for making a threat at rear of pub It stated on adult community resolution order that the neighbours father and my self had to keep away from each other and if in contact avoid inflammatory comments. Which he ignored received order in September 2019 ran out in August or September 2020.

    Had a further incident of attempted criminal damage on 30th September 2020 and male tried putting living room window through my father jumped up out of chair got into his vehicle to look for person who attempted to brake our window and male was gone when father was getting into car saw neighbour go to back door which she denied to police having in property and let some one in received crime number.

    Pcso’s came to visit and showed footage and said there’s nothing they could do relating to criminal damage as suspects face was covered up

    Neighbour made another false allegation that were harassing her with cctv and were not using it to protect landlord property and fathers new vehicle sargent called neighbour and stated to her that she is harassing us her and her boyfriend received harassment warnings which they are ignoring neighbour and her boyfriend have spread rumours in local businesses that me and my father have done this and that to them when we have not.

    She contacted fathers landlord making false allegations and landlord ignores her now due to attack on house been trying to get us out of house since May 2020 last year.

    Manageress in Gregg’s on sticker lane has been spreading rumours and a local gossip called dawn due to this neighbour telling lies to them which father was informed by another neighbour. Manageress in Greggs also stated to me one time when in shop when I was trying to have a joke with her if you do not shut up ill get your neighbour to beat you up again this was related to assault which occurred on 30th July 2019. She has also got her young son involved to make a threat which was in December 2020 will be out of house before Christmas when walking past our property around 10 pm.

    Other garage owner which is over road informed my father that the neighbours boyfriend keeps going over and complaing to him that were doing this and that to them when we haven’t also been throwing stones recently at bedroom window from garage owners yard which was witnessed by next door garage mot tester and the other garage owner told the neighbours boyfriend not to do this.

    We have been informed by the other garage owner that the neighbour has caused loads of issues and made people move out due to building work in early hours of morning but building work completed.

    Previous tenant left due to building work an Asian lady called shabby which is her nickname left property owing current landlord 6 month’s rent this was in 2015 and neighbour made false allegations with landlord and police stating she was playing loud music.

    Was informed previous owner of our house was banned from coming to his home address due to a fight which occurred when neighbours sister used to live in property next door neighbours father did not live at the address at time this was due to police.

    Current landlord had an altercation with neighbours father when neighbours sister was living in house next door and got banned from coming to property via police this was due to repairing and doing cosmetic work in house.

    Current neighbour stated to police that she is a single parent and had no issues with neighbours for over ten years according to police officers during voluntary interview on 29th April 2020.

    Can you help with this cause when I contact environmental health with regards to vibration noise from surround which neighbour is causing in early hours father made complaint in August 2020 and they stated due to covid pandemic were dealing with issues and will get to you as soon as possible I emailed environmental Health this year on behalf of my father and they sent letter in my name fathers tenancy is nothing to do with me.

    Neighbour was selling home in January 2021 and the house sale fell through neighbour on street was getting some food in Gregg’s and the female neighbour was blaming me and my father for not being able to sell home due to state of house not our responsibility it is landlords. Father told neighbour not to get involved did not want neighbour to receive what we got with criminal damage.

  27. James stewartJames stewart

    I have a neighbour who has moved in above me he’s an absolute nightmare loud music all day base up full blast shouts at the top of his voice reported to concil better talking to wall bloody useless getting to the point where its going to get physical doesn’t give a shit im at the end of my tether as I don’t keep to good

  28. KateKate

    This article is a joke.

  29. royroy

    All night more than 10 people having party in No: 85 Phycroft Way Edmonton N9 9XX during covid 19 time.

  30. LizLiz

    Since 25 March 2020 our neighbours end terrace have played a Base beat music 24 hours a day. They have played it over the years but never after 6 or 7 pm. I’ve never complained before even though in the day it has bothered me. When I mentioned it to them when we had a row the second son turned it back on. This was when they accused me of killing our other next door”s cat that went missing 2019. They told them this in 2019 but they never told me.
    We made a complaint to the Council in April compiled diary sheets and completed one from the council.
    We have also had abuse criminal damage slander threatening behaviour. They have agreed to live peacefully twice last year prior to this 2012 but never adhered to it. Police won’t deal with the noise issue..Council EH officers couldn’t hear noise five occasions they refused to come out. Despite ringing in the day they never responded.
    Machine was put in with no weighting or filter so picked up every noise it seemed to record everything when the machine shouldn’t have recorded. I was careful to switch it on then leave the room and shut the door. The tape lasted 3 hours 30 minutes instead of four hours.
    EH sent a CD of the tape you can hear the voice of the EH officer calling us to show how to operate.
    It wasn’t until September that we had the CD.
    As the EH OFFICERS was waiting for our response to the CDAY having stated there was no nuisance he sent a letter to the family. saying the complaint was ongoing.
    That day my husband was attacked up the road see on son from next door was in the area as I rushed up the road to
    he was returning to our grove shouted at me you fat bitch don’t send us any more letters.
    The offender looked very much like the sons pal. He tried to kick my husband in the head.
    The man was arrested he was obviously high the sobs next door use drugs.
    Police said it was circumstantial.
    Complaint to council about how it’s been dealt with had not been acknowledged. Rang up twice and told by admin staff second noise complaint has been escalated. EH OFFICERS has said he did acknowledge on November but I don’t have any emails from. him.
    He has said he was concerned why I’d escalated complaint but I rang to see what was happening the administration staff said it had been escalated so I didn’t use that terminology.
    The EH officer said the machine was set up properly. .
    The noise continues it gas been crimes as harassment now due to Public order policy changes bit I need to record it somehow.
    Am using Infrasound Detector and Noise App the latter the council do not use.
    Wr own our home can’t afford to move. Next door are no longer the owners going by land registry the proprietor is a loan company.
    Been to a sickie she is now saying we need evidence of noise. We could lose any court case.
    Please can you help? I’ve hardly slept for neatly a year my husband is suffering. He was made redundant in May got another job November literally up the road. He is still temporary there. The family are doing it deliberately.

  31. cc

    Only viable solution is leave uk. Brits are uncaring hooligans. Certainly don’t discuss with them. They will do it more to punish you. A nation of mean psychopaths.

  32. Christine.Ann De ParlesChristine.Ann De Parles

    For two years I have put up with loud music I have done all I can by logging in two forms over two consecutive years.
    Police and councillors have been to the property. Last night the police made a visit on my behalf sadly it is not there domain it was for my benefit the police made a visit.This problem went to Council and Triage this year this man continues to play loud music I am not sure if he lives in the house

  33. SheilaSheila

    Upstairs from me is running some sort of bnb lots of young girls the odd boy he has no sound prove and wood flooring they bang and drug things up and down the hallway all day and most of the night i have told the council and wandle housing but nothing has been done about it i suffer with depression after the murder of my son i’m slowing going mad.

  34. JustinJustin

    My current next door neighbours are so obnoxious, at least once a week since October 2020 (during tiers and now the lockdown), they have a gathering or a party. The longest ha hone from 6pm one day to 8am the next. The landlord of that property refuses to talk to me, the tenants never answer the door, the council won’t follow up on nose complaints, I’ve reported them for breaching covid restrictions and police won’t step in. I’m at my wits end, they woke me up at 2am and I have been unable to get back to sleep since.

  35. Julie campbellJulie campbell

    Hi I have a new neighbour, he’s been there about 2-3 months now, he has friends round and they are loud and shouting until 4,5,6 in the morning, his bedroom is next to my daughters and she has woken up to him having loud sex, she is only 10 and is mortified and does need to hear that. He also has a puppy and goes out for hours and leaves it barking and crying nine stop. I’ve spoken to him twice about the noise and says he’ll keep it down. I’ve had move all my furniture into the back room so that we can try an get some peace and we’re sleeping in the sofa because it’s too noisy upstairs. My youngest is disabled and autistic and is petrified of loud noises.

  36. Linda RiceLinda Rice

    Hi I stay above 2 shops takeaway shop day time and indian takeaways at night they have Taxis coming and going as the guys who deliver are taxis anyway till 1245 in the morning they are drilling there is loud booming music a think maybe comes from car outside drivers not sure if inside but my bedrooms above shop my floor is actually vibrating a dont sleep at night also there extractor fan is right outside my livingroom window the noise and the smell a cant sit in my livingroom so I am resigned to my room spoke to my landlord who owns all property hes done nothing about it this has been on going for along time now am at my wits end am going down tonight to calmly speak to owner to explain see how it goes but anymore advice would be grateful for dont wont to guys into bother extractor fan is not there fault landlords previous tenant moved it but I no that is against law where it is sitting sorry for rant !

  37. LisaLisa

    Yes I have got this new neighbour who is coming around to mine to often and always later at night early hours of the morning I have tried talking to her about she just cant come around uninvited she in the past few nights been heard and seen shouting yelling screaming out windows from 11pm onwards it’s getting really annoying now and that she doesnt have any respect for people or property. I live in small village town and whole of neighbours can here her from 11pm onwards I have another neighbour next door with a young child they keep to being awoken up by her she wakes children up near by eldery and people who live and work sone of us go to work in mornings. I’ve notice too this new neigbour over stays her welcome I dont like people coming around to mine uninvited and staying for hours and hours and not leaving until early hours of the morning. I have told this new neighbour shes not to come around to mine unless I say so. She did this with others to where she used to live

  38. PriPri

    I own my flat and next door seem to be council flats. Throughout March till now (lockdown) I’ve had to deal with a horrendous family next door. Playing music at all hours of the day/night, yelling, screaming, crying and dogs barking. There’s a single mother and 3 kids and often she’s always smoking outside or picking up drugs. The kids are rude, heard swearing and yelling, a baby is constantly crying and I’ve never seen the children go to school, they play in the garden when the weather isn’t bad. The council has done nothing and even after speaking politely to the neighbours about the noise they didn’t say anything or stop. It’s affecting my sleep and health knowing I have to work and study part time and can’t do that in peace because they’re being antisocial and a disturbance. I’ve also seen the children kick the dogs and they’re constantly swearing. Who do I call or complain too? A noise diary wasn’t effective at all!

  39. Cassie smithCassie smith

    Hi my neighbour is constantly banging or cutting wood or building things it’s getting too much to deal with he does this every day

  40. Crafting Better Automated EmailsCrafting Better Automated Emails

    Can anyone able to recommend good Central Heating Supplies Business Email Addresses? Thank you 🙂

  41. RR


    I am seeking advice, I am currently staying with my boyfriend in his council flat until I find a place to live. He lives in a 4 bedroom flat, 3 rooms which are occupied. The tenant living above my boyfriends room has a girlfriend who has 2 kids.

    Now all of a sudden the girlfriend and 2 kids come and stay in the flat at least all week. They are very noisy especially jumping about, running up and down the stairs, shouting, washing machine constantly in use between the hours of 9pm-3am! We can hear it all downstairs.

    Now I understand I shouldn’t be there, but for me it’s for a short period of time. I want to know if it is legally allowed for someone who lives in a 4 bedroom flat to start bringing in his GF and kids there.

    Someone already complained to the landlady, since then they have moved out but the guy lied and said she doesn’t always come and stay (she’s been there everyday). So if we complain now he will know it is us and he is a very aggressive man and doesn’t like being told. I did speak to him the first time, but nothing has changed and my BF is reluctant to speak to him.

    Please can someone advise me – thank you!

  42. EveEve

    We bought our 30’s semi-detached house 8 years ago and, at the time we bought, it was empty. After 6 beautiful, quiet months we heard improvement noises, and a tenant moved in shortly after. She had a small child with her – oh no, we thought, the last thing we want is to live next to a small child!
    How naive. The mother has been absolutely awful to live next to – she screams and shouts and bangs and played loud music. I say played, as that’s not such a huge issue any more.

    Last year she was in an abusive relationship and I ended up calling the police as he was beating her up. he left, but her daughter got taken away. The daughter is safe and living with her dad. The noisy neighbour is now living with another guy and she screams (and i really do mean screaming) and swears at him most days.

    The lockdown has been absolutely terrible for our mental health; the reason we’ve been able to bear it is because we’re usually out at work or gigging (we’re musicians; oh the irony that we’re the ones with the noise issues). There is nowhere in the house we can go to get away from it, and we have an outhouse.

    We’ve liaised with the council, and sent 6 noise diaries to them so far. They have been very sympathetic, and sent a letter, but this has done nothing. They say that they need to send an officer round to witness the commotion but unfortunately this always seems to be when the noise team are unavailable.

    We’ve also called the police on a few occasions, but they tell me that the power over noise really does lie with the council.

    We have now decided to sell our home as we simply can’t cope with living here any more but so far there have been no interested buyers. I’m starting to consider one of those companies who buy for cash very fast but at a reduced price. Have you any advice for me on whether I should seriously look into these companies and if they are legitimate? Also, can I sell a house to these sorts of companies if I am already in a single agent contract with the estate agent?

  43. Alan PaulAlan Paul

    My wife and Inhave lived in our Victorian semi for 18 years. We own it and the house attached house four bedrooms each rented out to either single people or couples. We have had no real issues with these changing tenants until recently the landlord who we communicate with fairly easily placed a single Sri Lankan man, aged about 50, in the rear bedroom. after about a couple weeks we heard him spending a lot of time during the day and night shouting very loudly, crashing doors, thumping and banging.
    His most disturbing pattern of behaviour was shouting continuously after midnight, this could go on for over two hours.
    He thumps his feet, creates noise like he’s kicking doors. He seems to have sessions like this every few days.
    It wakes us up, we lose a lot of sleep.
    I have challenged him, he never apologies, and just gets on with the same soon after I have spoken with him. He says he has problems but never says what they are.
    There are other tenants, they are disturbed by this man, but because they don’t speak English it’s difficult.
    I called the police once on 999 because it sounded like there was a disturbance next door between neighbours.
    During the week 10to 14 June 2020 he was at it again. At 1.20am he woke me with his shouting, I am partially deaf, I called the police they wouldn’t respond saying it’s a council issue. They never logged my message. I got very angry then, as I was lost with what to do a5 that time.
    I went round and banged on the doors until the Sri Lankan answered. We shouted at each other, I couldn’t get any explanation out of the man as to why you spends hours shouting.
    The landlord has previously said he can’t do anything because of the Covid 19 lockdown.

    Help !!!!!!!!!

  44. nada caminatinada caminati

    Please help. We bought a freehold house with shared garden with 10 houses. Majority of neighbours are pensioners, whilst we have children and our life is becoming unbearable. They never allowed any children friendly facility in the garden, no games, no picnics no toys etc… literally we are prisoners within our own land and house. One of the most racist Neighbors is trying to sell a house (we pray to God they do) but still causing us daily stress, sending messages and text complaining about everything possible (most petty and ridiculous things normal people would ignore as irrelevant and miniature). They lived in the house for 20 years, had on going issues with previous owner (which we found after buying the house), hated previous owner for been from norther Ireland, hated another neighbors for been a gay couple, equally they hate us as we are Europeans. We are working full time, have paid our taxes to this country and respect the law. We were hoping to enjoy a nice life outside of London whilst children are small so they can play in the large (4 acres) communal garden. That is not the case. Over the 7 years not one thing has changed or improved to make it more family friendly or children friendly. We are now at the point of nervous break down as this is no longer tolerable. We feel victimized, discriminated against (few houses meet regularly and drink and smoke heavily in sight of our children, and make noise whilst drunk), bullied and scared to leave children for a minute alone in the garden (they are 8 yrs old).
    Please advise on legal protection, we can not sell and can not but this is no longer tolerable or acceptable – please do NOT publish my name

  45. Neil GroundsellNeil Groundsell

    Hi, I hope you can help me, I have a serious problem with a noisy neighbor. This has been ongoing for a few weeks now and I really can’t and shouldn’t have to put up with it. Let me explain, my retired neighbor has been working on his garden and fences/sheds during the lockdown. This would normally not be a problem as I have completed various jobs about my house, unfortunately he decides to start the work extremely early in the morning (before six o’clock). Am I being unreasonable to assume this is selfish and unessassary?. This morning I was awoken at 5-50 am with banging. I will not put up with any more of this, he is an ignorant old bastard so trying to reason with him would be futile. Please help before I kill the old fucker. Many thanks NG

  46. JohnJohn

    This is very outdated and as of today it appears to be written in a quiet mansion. Reality that house shares are incredibly noisy and in some cases tenants do not even speak English to be able to negotiate or point out to the issue. Once trying to communicate to the neighbour the issue gets worse and dangerous. It is time to keep up with the changing environment and stop pretending that it is the same as it was 70 years ago! Much stricter legislations are needed and appropriate guideline to defend citizens and their right to live a quality life!

  47. Colleen StephensColleen Stephens

    We need help to deal with a tenant how lives next door. He seems to have a remit to do major works on the house without being monitored by the owner or managing agent. We currently have a noise complaint in with the council but wondered if there was anywhere else we could look for help. We are at our wits end and don’t even want to use our garden.

  48. PhilPhil

    So with respect, this advice would work in the 50’s. Once you tell a neighbor there’s an issue, there’s a fair chance that issue will get worse. Barking dog owners for example, are sociopaths. That’s why they ruin neighborhoods with animals. Once you let them know they have power over someones well being, they will continue with earnest.

    Councils will do everything they can to not do anything. What they do eventually do, will take months to materialize and will usually not solve the problem. Most if not all local politicians, will not care. You then have to declare an ongoing, unresolved issue when you sell your property. You’ve lost thousands of pounds at this point, and your health may have been affected.

    We do not have the laws in the UK, to grant homeowner the right to peace and quiet in their own homes. Nor do we have the enforcement to act on the existing laws. Many simply take the law into their own hands; not recommended obviously. And many just suffer in silence.

    Barking dogs especially, are a health epidemic in the UK. And there’s little we can do about it without getting into trouble with the law. All we can do is write to politicians demanding change, and keep writing. Change will come if all of us who suffer, keep pushing for that change. Otherwise, we’ll just receive useless, outdated advice and nothing will ever happen.

  49. Rm3Rm3

    For 14 years my neighbour has been a problem. Although, not at unsocial hours as such f he is not banging and drilling, he is playing a guitar or loud music. This is pretty much most evenings, meaning I cannot watch t.v without turning it up to a ridiculous level to drown him out, I cannot just sit and read a book and I cant go to bed when I feel like it…his music sometimes goes on until 11pm. And is loud in my bedroom despite having moved my bed to the other side of the room. Tonight it went on for 4 and a half hours. I’m at a loss, we have asked him to keep it down in the past so he knows what he is doing. My partner works shifts so this is a big problem. I have been tolerant for so long, I’m hitting the end now …. have started the recommended log, and will have to pursue through the relevant channels. Only relief we get is when he occasionally disappears for several weeks which is heaven.

  50. S1S1

    Our neighbours start to play music at 1,2,3,4 am in the morning. Knowing we can hear it after discussing with them how thin the walls are in our 90’s built semi-detached home. The irony of it is they own their home and we rent, which seems to be an inadvertent validation to them (as we can hear their opinion through the wall)! We’re going to move after 2 + years of periodic issues, does anyone know if we can ring the council and ask if there has been any historic complaints and what the rights of tenants are to be forewarned about problematic neighbours?

  51. YvonneYvonne

    My partner and I live in a ground floor flat . We have lived here for 15 years. My partner is the caretaker of the high rise tower block we live in. We have had many neighbours above in those 15 years, some good but some not so good. The problem is the noise that comes from the flat with a really bad noisy neighbour.It is very badly maintained and the noise is unbearable at times. We have done dairies over the years, we have complained to the council and done noise dairies and had equipment in but they were away upstairs when we had the noise monitor installed. We have had the police here but of course they can only do so much . We have tried everything and tried to be fair, but to no avail. The letting agent for upstairs just doesn’t care. So with squeaky floorboards and frayed bald carpet they have up there we can hear everything . The tenants come and go, but the letting agent blamed us and said we are harassing them upstairs . This is untrue and we want a quiet life also. We are back to square one and losing hope about getting any peace. We were hoping to retire here but I doubt we could cope with any more bad neighbours .

  52. Marcio LupusellaMarcio Lupusella

    Hello dear,
    Is someone can help with this please? I have problems with a neighbour living below me that he banging below my bed during the night which he banging his ceiling. The council and The housing association put the recorder but they didn’t pick up the banging.why ?! because is not noise is a impact that wakes me up so is anyone knows please any tool equipment device or machinery they can pick up the impact banging when his doing during the night ? Please can you help with that anyone.

  53. EuniceEunice

    My neighbour has all his two windows within my apartment. The least noise from either of us gets to the other. i have three kids whom i feel sometimes disturb him with noise, but i also find it quite ubearable the loud music he play typically around 11pm and beyound it disturbs my sleep. i have spoken to him severally to stop but he keeps doing it so i place thick wood behind his windows as sound proof. When he realized he came confronting me in a very rude manner for blocking his source of ventilation. Mewnwhile, his wnidows are enclosed within the walls of my apartment and not much air possibly goes to his room. what do i do ?

  54. SandySandy

    I live in a basement flat which I own and is leasehold .Above me the freehold flat is rented .The chap renting seems to live in the sunroom which sits above my bedroom and I can hear all footsteps and playing darts etc noises , makes me jump , wakes me up very tiring .I have asked them if they could be quiet esp after 11 pm ….makes no difference .
    Owner says it is soundproofed and sends me the drawings of work done but irrelevant as still noisy , seem to not believe me .
    I wrote an e mail one night after 1 am as woken AGAIN by thumping footprints and was distressed .
    The owner wrote back to me saying I was harassing her tenant and if he leaves due to me pestering him about noise it will have repercussions for me . This is a very expensive apartment , over £5,000 per month .
    Is the owner able to cause me a problem if he leaves early as he wants to ??
    Response would be very much appreciated.The owners are very wealthy and unpleasant people who bully to get their own way ,as has happened here with other residents in the flats .

  55. KayKay

    I am also having this problem. Absolutely at my wits end. Recently moved into a house & EVERY SINGLE EVENING from when I get home from work (about 5.15pm) until around 9.20/30pm there is constant banging from next door. Now I appreciate children make noise but seriously the banging is next level. It’s like they are stomping and throwing themselves on the floor and against the wall ALL evening. It is so loud I can hear it over the tv, and I can actually feel it sometimes. It’s so loud often it makes me jump. Surely this is anti social? Partner has been round and asked them to keep it down on several different occasions but clearly they don’t care as it’s still happening.
    I can’t sit in my own living room when I get home and relax. Just to add I’m 33 weeks pregnant and absolutely exhausted, and this is stressing me out no end. I’m terrified it’s going to cause baby to come early! Is there anything I can do to get them to stop before I end up going into labour over this?!

  56. AusraAusra

    Hi, we do have a problem with our neighbor, not sure if we can sort this out?
    The house isolation is not the best as in most of the London.
    Our council is not dealing with the house isolation problems.
    We are renting the flat from April and we were really patient with the neighbor. Our neighbor above lives night life, it looks he never works. He is very active during the night, heavy walker, dancer. Most of the nights we awake because of heavy footsteps; ceiling’s and window’s are shaking. Loud dropping sound, furniture’s moving, hoovering and of course music. The Music is not really loud, however when we already exhausted from all sounds mentioned before, it effects our mental health. The most amazing thing that sometimes all noises are going non stop for 24hrs. So even during the day time can not get some rest.
    From 7nights in a week let’s say 5 of them is in agony.
    We raised once with the neighbor issue, he reduced noise for about 2 weeks. We tried to have second chat, however he was very rude, insulting.
    The problem is we have tenancy contract for 2 years, plus I am expecting first baby soon and our bedroom is where he’s living room and all sounds comes during the night.
    Mentally we are afraid of the night, always in our heads of we will get to sleep tonight or not?
    Shall we still try deal with council? Do you think they can help?
    Thank you

  57. MegMeg

    My neighbour is a council tenant while I own my house. He frequently has parties or loud movies on his surround sound system (which he told me the price of and it’s more than our annual income!) I contacted the council when it first started as I have children, one of which is in the room next to their lounge where all the noise is. The council didn’t keep the complaint anonymous as they said about a young child and he gave me his number to contact him to ask him to turn it down if it’s too loud. A lot of the loudness occurs when he’s been drinking so I end up with texts through the night from him further disrupting my sleep or random drunken texts on other days meaning I had to block his number. This is not a suitable resolution, he continues to make noise and I feel I cannot do anything about it. It’s disrupting the already little sleep I get and affecting my physical and mental health.

  58. HkingHking

    My partner owns his property and so do the couple next door, at the end of our properties is an L&Q leases property. The lady who occupies this seems to have mental health issues. She has been continuously banging all hours of the night and day. It wakes us up and makes it difficult to relax in our own homes. The couple next door have it worse as they are right next to her but we are next door but one and it’s travelling through both properties! We have reported it many times to L&Q who say they can’t do anything and require multiple agencies to be involved. We have had the police out who have visited and advised that she is using a stick and banging on the skirting board and floors. She beloved the couple next door are devil worshippers and are hiding bodies under the floorboards and that the banging is to hell get them out! L&Q have issued warnings but this does nothing to stop her. We will report to the council but having read up on what action they take we don’t think this will have any affect either and could ruin our chances and next doors of selling. L&Q have a responsibility to manage their tenant and if they are breaching the agreement then she should be kicked out! I find it disgusting that after three years this is still going on. We have been asked to record the times and for how long, been given an app to record the noise and even with all this evidence still nothing is done! It’s a living nightmare!! Please someone advise!! Legal action could be an option but expensive and I am sure because she is mental health she is probably protected!

  59. JoJo

    Hi, I have a problem with my neighbors, they play music loud random times, i complained to council and is still nothing done, it is going on for 3 years now. Las night they started to play music 11pm and is still going on so is more than 12 hours now. I haven’t slept for 12 hours now. since they moved in I have terrible headaches and feel so frustrated. I don’t know why police and council refuse to help me. Maybe because I am not English. However I am fine with all my neighbors i just want to live in piece. Can you help me please, I am going crazy already cannot study or sleep and I am afraid to come back home in the evenings.

    • HomeOwners AllianceHomeOwners Alliance

      Dear Jo – Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately the Council and the Police would be the main organisations that you need to talk to. I would suggest you approach the Council again to try and get an understanding of why they won’t help.

  60. Karen DeGenerousKaren DeGenerous

    I have had problems with neighbours in the flat above the three consecutive tenant familes, all of which rent from a private landlord. The neighbours who are there at the moment on the second consecutive lot then cause problems with noise since the day they moved in, but it’s not 24 hours a day. I have decided I would like to have them removed – it’s not just about the noise, it’s affecting my health and my sons health and our relationship again, do you have information on how I could do this please.

    • HomeOwners AllianceHomeOwners Alliance

      Dear Karen – Sorry to hear this. You should really try and approach the local Council initially and explain the situation to them. They usually have departments who can advise on this

  61. AlisonAlison

    The problem with my neighbours a 14 year old boy who screams shouts swears can be heard every night through whole of my house tonight objects at my kitchen window spoke to his mother who is deaf so didn’t hear the kids also tonight his 10 year old brother laughing big open window both there not funny at 2am through to God knows what time my autistic learning disability son shares same walk in bedroom and wakes him up I’m getting no sleep so find it hard to be up in time for school if I do drop off my daytime’s are ruined because I need sleep.may have to resort to redecorating back bedroom for him but then I will have that room but why should I and I can’t move due to autistic kids unsettling him again finance and I’ve just decorated my house ready for christmas

  62. AndrewAndrew


    I moved into my property roughly 6 years ago, about a year or so ago a takeaway opened opposite my house. I have been to the council about them for various reasons including noise. Just lately they have been banging, slamming every door they can find available to do so. The police don’t and won’t do anything about this as it “isn’t a crime” the environmental health say they can’t do anything about this and I’m really fed up as it is 12:26am, I was awake until this time yesterday, I then had to get up at 6am for work. I’m sure there must be something that an authority can do somewhere if they put their mind to it and actually wanted too?

    P.s. we have tried talking to them on many occasions, it gets better for all of 10 minutes and then back to square 1. The owners, girlfriends son is an ignorant individual who claims “he doesn’t know he is making a noise” yet when he is doing so he is doing it and looking up for a reaction as I have seen him on many occasions so more lies from Pinocchio here.

    Any help and advice you could give would be most appreciated and welcome.

    Many thanks in advance for your help in advance

    All the best


    • HomeOwners AllianceHomeOwners Alliance

      Hello Andrew, I’m so sorry to read that you’re having problems with noisy neighbours. If the Council won’t get involved, you could consider taking your neighbours to court though we’d recommend you take advice from a lawyer first. One of our membership benefits is a free legal advice call with a fully qualified lawyer. If you’d like to join us as a member we’d be happy to set a legal call up for you.

  63. jennifer readjennifer read

    the noisy neighbour does have a leasehold which does “not allow wooden or laminate flooring because of the noise it causes”, they ignored it. Been asked and told to keep the noise down, ignored it again, We both went to mediation, told by landlord to cooperate with them, and after just one meeting, mediation tried to contact neighbour by phone and letters, no reply. They simply ignore everything and make life hell for others.

  64. Wendy TaylorWendy Taylor

    We live in a ground floor flat my partner is recovering from a stroke unfortunately the male who lives with his girlfriend both in their 70s he is also recovering from a stroke but his partner is a alcoholic and sleeps short periods during the day and then bangs around and argues early hrs of the morning I have tried to talk to the male about it and it goes quiet for a while then we’re back to square one she won’t admit she’s alcohol dependant to him but admitted it was to me I don’t want to report it to her agency as there landlady has recently took over the rental to them and is not approachable any ideas what is the kindest way to approach this problem and its driving me nuts they also have a lovely little dog but that barks non stop

  65. ElizabethElizabeth

    My neighbour keeps me awake all night gaming and disturbs me through out the day with banging, slamming doors and continued gaming. I have tried to ask for it to stop or decrease. Their reaction was to turn on the gaming and turn it up and laugh at exactly the time I asked them to turn it down or off as it was 2.51 am but in a note as I didn’t get an answer when I knocked on the door They then go on all night long and continue all morning and start the morning of with loud repetitive banging or thumping up to my floor and then it continues throughout the morning. When I asked them to stop again their reaction was to go crazy in the day time, punching my floor and banging and crashing around , repeatedly slamming the doors and continuous noise. I have had no sleep in 6 weeks and this evening the turned it on at 3 am and woke me up and I was awake all night and had to try and sleep with the TV on to drown out the noise. They only room in my flat that doesn’t get noise is my bathroom. I once tried to sleep in the bath. I have kept a diary about it for 6 weeks and it is starting to feel intentional If I am lucky I will get one hour of sleep at night and then my day is ruined because I am so exhausted.

    • HomeOwners AllianceHomeOwners Alliance

      Dear Elizabeth. I am so sorry to hear this. It seems as though you have tried to talk to your neighbours about the issue. Your next step would really to be to go to the Council and the Environmental Health team who will probably ask you for a copy of the noise diary and may provide monitoring equipment to see how loud it is. Good luck

  66. RichRich


    We own the freehold to our house. Behind our house are some new-build council houses, and one of the council tenants has started making a LOT of noise – parties during the day and until very late at night during the week (it is not that loud within our home – audible in some rooms, but not all – but the biggest inconvenience with regards to the noise is that it is very loud when we are outside trying to enjoy our garden. It makes what was a nice experience into a stressful and unpleasant one.

    Perhaps worse though, is that I strongly suspect there is drug dealing and drug use occuring there (or at least, on the pavement outside). Yesterday my suspicions were backed up, as on my way home I saw two policemen body searching three individuals outside the house (the police had blue gloves, and all three were in handcuffs).

    What do I do? I doubt mediation is an option, and will only highlight to potentially dangerous individuals that we are a problem for them and their ‘business’. I really cannot risk these people knowing that we would be complaining about them.

    Thank you in advance for your help,


    • Marianne ColeMarianne Cole

      Thanks Rich. Sorry to hear of this issue – This is something you should be getting in touch with your local council about. They will probably ask you to keep a noise diary. On the internet find your council and search for noise complaints.

  67. GeorginaGeorgina


    I have Been told that the house next door to me in a desirable village is going to be rented to a care home for troubled children. This has been done elsewhere to people I know and has severely affected the security of their home and will severely decrease the value of my home. I want to know if there is anything that can be done about this and if I have any control over this matter as it will affect my own property and it’s market value and ability to be sold.

    Many thanks Georgina

    • Sara HindSara Hind

      Hello Georgina, this sounds as though it will require planning permission for a change of use. You will be able to write to the Council to explain why you object to the proposal. Have a look on your council’s website or give them a ring to find out more about the timetable and at what point you will be able to submit your objection.

  68. Emma LiveseyEmma Livesey

    My neighbour next door comes in early hours of a night and slams his door shut not quietly but slams it . I’ve actually asked him to close his door quietly his reaction was brutal

  69. GillyGilly

    Hi, unfortunately I cannot talk to my neighbours. This is due to the fact that I am still trying to find out who is doing the banging. It has been going on for more than a year, day and night alike. I even went to the police station (I live in Jordan). I was told that I have to firstly find out who it is, at which point the police would take action. This was not of any help, obviously.

    Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

    Thank you.

  70. WiggoWiggo

    Hi There,

    I live in a middle floor flat. My neighbour upstairs talks and shouts very violent and sometimes racist things almost constantly. It is very disturbing. Thankfully he stops at night so I can sleep.

    However my neighbour in the flat below, an alcoholic, has an abusive son. He will come around and bang on the door (always past midnight) and ring everyones buzzers until he gets let in and then he will row for hours with his Dad. This happened last night. Kept me up until 4:30AM. Went to work an absolute zombie.

    My question is if I write to the freeholder to complain (they are both tenants, I am a leaseholder/owner) would I have to declare that whilst selling?

    Do I have any redress against the previous owner? Who has sold me this absolute pudding of a flat?

    Any help appreciated.


    • Sara HindSara Hind

      Hello Wiggo, we’re really sorry to hear you’re having such a dreadful time thanks to your neighbours. When selling a property, the seller’s solicitor will send the seller a Seller’s Property Information Form to complete, and on this the seller must mention any disputes with their neighbours. What constitutes a dispute is open to interpretation but in general, if you’ve had to contact a neighbour in writing, or complain to the council or another authority about them, then the dispute will have to be declared. Your seller should have done the same.

  71. CloeCloe

    Hi hoa
    I’m a leaseholder, I used to live in my flat, but I now live abroad and have left my flat to rent for a few years now.
    The old man who was living above us at the time seems to be getting senile fast, he shouts at any time day and night, listens to extremely loud TV until very late, and moves furniture etc from 6 every mornings.
    My tenants cannot sleep, even earplugs aren’t efficient, they wrote a letter to him, he didn’t reply, they knocked at his door, he never opens, they eventually banged to the ceiling and he came down yelling at them, banging on their door, shouting that his tv wasn’t loud and that he would call the police for harassment…
    My tenants just told me they are now considering moving out.

    What can I do: if the leave I will have the issue with next tenants.
    It’s tricky to ask them to go into a mediation process (+ the poor old man seems a bit mad)
    I am even considering selling, but this is not satisfactory as I would be selling a flat with a real issue which is not right.
    Can I start a procedure of mediation or court myself from abroad on behalf of my tenants?
    Thank you for your help.

    • Sophie KhanSophie Khan

      Hi Cloe,
      Is the elderly person housed by the Council or under a particular social or community care housing scheme? If so you could enquire with them regards a mediation route especially as there may be issues connected with his hearing or state of mind. You may also wish to contact the local disability rights group or branch of Age Concern to see if their advice and advocacy teams could assist in getting you on a path to resolution of matters. If you became a member of HOA you would have access to the legal advice to sound out your legal options.

      Hope this is helpful,

      HomeOwners Alliance Team

  72. Ms P SofocleousMs P Sofocleous

    I am the leaseholder but my noisy neighbour is my tenant who is also my freeholder. If I complain does that mean I could lose my property?

    • Sophie KhanSophie Khan

      Dear P Sofocleous,

      In this instance do try to remain calm and amicable to address the issues. I imagine you know the freeholder and have regular communication so could raise your concerns directly or through a mediator or leaseholders association / spokesperson? Keeping up a positive relationship is key. Keep us posted.

      Best wishes,
      HomeOwners Alliance

  73. stevesteve

    Hi the last few nights we have had our neighbours making so much noise from around 10pm untill 4am. Banging around, banging doors, running around, talking loudly, and a kid who sounds about 4 or 5 being up all night screaming or having tantrums. They also have the windows open so its echoing even more making sleep impossible…It is a council house and today we told them that if it continued we would report them to the council, and now its happening again.
    Ive decided to start making a recording and will be emailing the council in the morning depending how bad it gets tonight… Does anyone have any advice they could possibly give??

    • Sophie KhanSophie Khan

      Dear Steve,

      Do keep a noise diary and have you involved the Council? They may be able to issue a warning or try mediation between you, and guide you as to best steps to take.

      All the best and do get in touch again or consider joining if you’d like us to support you with this.

      many thanks,

      HomeOwners Alliance

  74. peterpeter

    Hi I am looking for some legal advice. I had a new neighbour move in over a ago and i soon noticed my sleeping pattern was changing. For a while i did not think why that was the case , just thought one of those things. Some mornings i was waking up at 7.10am but not all mornings. Anyway after a while i discovered my upstairs neighbour was waking up at this time to go to work. So something woke me up and from then till she went to work say 30 minutes , i could hear above her moving around. I think herd of elephants spring to mind. During the evening i could hear noise too from someone rushing around and weekend too when she not at work. After a while when a friernd came round and wondered what was going on upstairs , i decided to have an informal chat with someone from my housing. (I live in Housing Association flat) I was advised to speak directly to her as she will be unaware of the noise this is creating most likely. I did not want any confrontation and it was suggested to take some chocolates to make it as friendly as can be. We have briefly chatted before but not too much. I was bit nervous to approach her but i knocked on her door and she was surprised but also very sorry too. I explained she had no reason to be sorry. I also mentioned sometimes her cupboards make a large bang and she was aware of that and was trying to sort that out. For me it was the being woken up in the morning that was affecting me. She was sorry and said she will do her best in future and the chat went as well as it could. I got back to housing a couple of weeks later and said the neighbour was very nice about all of this but for me the problem of waking up due to some noise still there. I asked Housing if they could do anything regarding the structure of the flat and flooring. The flats are about 60 years old. Maybe exttra underlay or something. The housing lady said she will speak to her housing manager and he will get back to me. A couple of weeks went by so i rang the housing and met a housing officer who had been designated my situation and he said he was going to contact me anyway this morning. We had a good chat and again i asked if anything housing can do with the flat. It seems nothing would be possible. He again asked me to speak with neighbour and i did so later in the day. I explained that the cupboard banging noise much better but i still had problems being awaken and i included other times of 6.30am. She said she has partner staying there most nights and will have a word with him. She also was againg very sorry i am being woken up and said she will do more. I said i may have a word with housing about the flooring ( i did not mention my previous contact) and she was fine with that. We both agreed no need for any bad from this as we both respected each other situations. To her she is just living normal but without the knowledge how much noise can be generated even from walking quickly around the flat. I told housing and they said monitor situation. For me i am concerned nothing will be change and i want to know what legal requirements if any do Housing Association in regards of the flooring. It seems trivial but does actually affect my sleep now really badly and i have long term health problems (something i not told my neighbour of) Thanks Peter

  75. PeterPeter

    Around a year ago my upstairs neighbour moved in above me. I was waking up around 7.15 amost mornings but did not know why. Just thought was one of those things. Anyway after a while i realised it was time she was waking up some days of the week. So after the initial awakening it was also very noisy above as she was getting ready for work and therefore rushing around. Think the saying is like a herd of elephants up there. After a few months i decided to talk my housing association just for advice what to do. They suggested speak with her and explain my concerns. They also suggested to take some chocolates with to make it more comfortable. I did speak to her and all was fine. She was sorry about the noise as did not realise and i explained she had no reason to be sorry just become aware. There was also noise coming from banging cupboards but she was aware of this and was trying to sort that matter out. So the chat was amicable. I went back to Housing to explain of the chat and i said i am still being awakened at similar time , however the banging cupboard situation has been resolved. I also asked if anything can be done regarding the flooring as i should not be hearing such noises when she walking about in her flat. Housing said not sure what can be done there and they said leave it a while. Anyway i gave it a few weeks and i approached neighbour again. Again she was so apologetic that i was still being woken up and also explained she has partner living with her a few times in the week which explains him getting up sometimes at 6.30am. I spoke to hosing manager who again said see how it goes. I believe my neighbour is doing all that she can as she is entitled to walk about in her flat. I am trying to find out what legal requirements the Housing Association have regarding flooring , floorboards etc. This is so important to me as my sleep is being effected and there is nothing more ,my neighbour can do i believe.. Your advice be helpful. Thanks. Peter

  76. LewisLewis


    My neighbours have a 17 year old 6ft sevearly disabled son. All he does is bang and jump up and down and howl he goes most nights uptill 11pm it’s all day constant banging and really lOud banging and howling. We own our house. We haves lived here for 1 year now and he’s got worse.
    Our biggest bedroom is non usable due to him being the other side.

    We have tried mediation and the mum just didn’t want to know.

    The son is called Charlie.
    He has autism ADHD and several other illness.
    They don’t have curtains up at his window either due to him ripping/eating them. We hear him everywhere in the house.

    the noise is so loud me and my partner don’t sleep and it’s got to the point where we get really angry with the noise as our quality of life is ruined. He should be in a care home he has no sensory things in his bedroom he just jumps and
    Bangs howls. He gets put in his room from 5:30pm till he drops to sleep and bang up at 6pm howling

    We need urgent help with this.

    • Sophie KhanSophie Khan

      Dear Lewis,

      Have you looked into the type of tenancy they have and whether there may be a way to escalate an issue through this route and perhaps they may then be open to the option of mediation? We would be happy to look into this further for you so please do consider becoming a member: Become a member of the HomeOwners Alliance for £45. Your membership entitles you to unlimited calls to the HomeHelpline, we provide an ask an expert service and you would also benefit from a free call with a legal advisor which may be useful to you in the future with this matter.

      Best wishes,

      HomeOwners Alliance

  77. EmmaEmma

    What does one do when you have reported to the likes of Lambeth Council over three years, they have attended many dozens of times in the three years at about three or four in the mourning but it is later you realise the council does not want to act as the council does not want to be seen to social clense.

  78. knightknight

    you seem to be talking about excessive problems ,most people have neighbor noise where one neighbour decides they will play their loud music which can be heard across the innocent parties house and it has to be suffered accordingly. Most homes are not built to suffer loud music without intruding on their neighbours homes / privacy through the party wall and this annoying at any time of the day or late evening especially using the power systems of today . These neighbours who play their music get very upset when any form of complaint or retaliation takes place and the general opinion is that the local council can do nothing unless the position is chronic and even they fail .Why should we negotiate with a neighour who clearly is out to be a trouble maker and the takes a chance to gain a position by force. Any decent neighbour would stop when they understood the trouble they were causing but the bad neighbour is little better than a criminal knowing that it is going to take some kind of legal action to make them back off

  79. PaulPaul

    Hi we have new neighbours move in 2 years ago, at first they were great and fairly quiet but now they keep coming in from the local working mans club every week and sometimes in the week bringing family and friends in talking loud until 2 in the morning.
    The house is very poor and the deviding wall is useless also they keep banging doors all the time. I have tried speaking to them but got know where infact things seem to be worse. They are private and we are council tennents and our landlord wont do anything about it.

  80. N.WeeksN.Weeks

    Yes we seem to have an impossible situation with our neighbours too. We moved into our house in 2009 and have had a constant battle with them to keep the noise down during the night. Pretty soon after moving into our terraced house we were hearing the noise from all night parties. We had no wish to conflict over it but it was unbearable. We approached the neighbour and let her know that we work hard and when we’re off work we like to relax and have peace and quiet at night. She agreed and said that she didn’t make a lot of noise (Yeah right!). As she wasn’t working she seemed to have people around all night at least 3 times a week. We found out that she was renting and reported the problem to her letting agency. They wrote to her with little affect. We decided to up the ante and report it to the council. A game ensued where they’d open an investigation and she was quiet. As soon as the investigation closed the all night noise started again. A boyfriend moved in and decided it would be clever to start harassing us to stop us complaining. Firstly our house was broken into while we were on holiday but nothing was damaged or taken. The police attended and said they thought it was more an act of antisocial behaviour more than a break in. They said to call them next time there was significant noise. It wasn’t long before we were sitting up at 3 O’clock in the morning listening to music and people shouting and screaming. We got the Police out and they went in and asked the neighbours to keep the noise down (That’s as much as they can do). The neighbours ignored them and continued until 10 O’clock. Just before they decided to go to bed the boyfriend thumped our door and screamed threats through the letter box. We got the Police out again and they advised us not to escalate the situation. The next few weeks the harassment got worse and there was spitting at us and thumping walls amongst other things. The Police went and warned him and it stopped. The noise stopped too for a few months and then started up again. We called the Police on 101 in the early hours and they told us to go to environmental protection at our local council. We’d been there before with little success. On two occasions the night noise team came out and listened. They said the noise was very clear but as it was only loud talking and shouting they couldn’t really do anything. they recommended that we should get insulation (which isn’t cheap). Basically unless there is booming music they don’t seem interested. Anyway it seems the only way to get out of this nightmare is to move house. I think in hindsight we should have hit them hard immediately. Initially there was loud music and we could have had a case but now as it’s shouting and loud talking through the night it’s much more difficult. Of course we didn’t want all this and didn’t want to hit them hard from the off.

  81. Bimi bolBimi bol

    I am going through similar problem only that our houses are not lease hold and the council is probably unable take meaningful action against deliberate noise made to look like activities of daily living.

close popup ×

Before   you go...

If you found this website useful, could you spare a minute to leave us a review?