Will insurance pay for water leaking from upstairs flat?

Q: I am a leaseholder living in a ground floor flat. The building is insured but I need to get home contents insurance. But what if something upstairs leaks into my flat? If it is me, will my home contents insurance cover that?


It would need to be proved that the water leaking from upstairs was the fault of the flat above and if so, then a claim could be made against the buildings insurance. Make sure you know who to contact if you need to make a claim against the buildings insurance; it may be the company that is in charge of ground maintenance so check with them and keep the details with your own policy in a safe place.

Contents insurance will protect the things you own against theft and damage in your home, and this will often include damage by fire, flood or other unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. You can also add accidental damage cover to your policy as well as protection for items away from your home, including laptops, gadgets & bikes too.
Ben Wilson


For answers to your questions, dedicated support and expert advice on your homeowning queries, join us as a member today


Related guides