Does damp matter and who do I call for help?

Q: My 1950s house has damp on a couple of walls. One outside wall under a window and some in the corner of a party wall. It's not bad but my wife is really worried about it. What is so bad about a bit of damp? And who do I call about getting it investigated - builders?


Damp can be caused by a number of things and if not addressed may worsen leading to additional structural problems.

So we asked Steve Hodgson, CEO of the Property Care Association ( for advice.

“I would recommend that a damp specialist surveyor is instructed who will carry out an inspection to determine what has caused the dampness discovered. A 1950’s built semi-detached house would be built with cavity walls and an original damp proof course. However the dampness described could be caused by:

  • Condensation
  • Penetrating Dampness – external water leaking from gutters or from window sill penetrating the wall, poor pointing etc
  • Blocked cavities where moisture is transferring across the material blockage
  • Rising Dampness may be caused by bridged damp course or raised external ground.

The cause needs to be assessed”.

With thanks to the Property Care Association, the trade association representing specialists who can be trusted to resolve problems affecting buildings.


Related reads