Extending my bedroom

Q: I’m extending my bedroom to include an en-suite bathroom. The electrician says the whole second floor of my house needs to be re-wired! What should I do?


Rewiring the top floor of your house will be expensive and quite disruptive – but may be essential to ensure the safety of your home. You will want to get a few quotes from NICEIC registered electricians. This scheme ensures they are competent and capable of meeting the relevant technical safety standards. Work of this type needs to be notified to the local authority building control – most registered electricians will do this for you. On completion of the work you will be given a certificate for your records. This will be important when it comes to selling your home.