Secretive Estate Agent charges
Linda was shocked to hear her estate agents charge the man next to her £1200+VAT less for their service.
Linda is a Magistrate who was selling her home in North London through a branch of a large estate agency group. She signed up to sell her house through them for 2% + VAT on a Sole Agency contract. Linda was delighted to agree to an offer on her house after only the third viewing through the door. Being happy with the service she had received so far she asked the Estate Agents to register her as a buyer with one of their branches in Hertfordshire. The estate agents at the branch outside the M25 promptly sent Linda details of some suitable properties, which she immediately asked to view.
While sitting in the Herts office waiting for a sales negotiator to arrange the viewings, sat at the desk next to her, just a few feet away, was another home owner who was in the process of signing a sole agency agreement to sell his home at 1.5% +VAT. Needless to say, when Linda overheard this, she was furious. Two offices in the same company, located just five miles apart, charging a different fee to sell the same style and price of property? And the half percent difference equated to £1200+VAT.
- Why the Mystery: a report into the murky world of Estate Agent Fees
- How should I choose an estate agent?
- How much should I pay the estate agent?
- Estate Agents’ contracts – what to watch for
- Estate Agent’s tricks
- How do I lower my estate agent fees? What about online agents
- How to resolve disputes with estate agents: A guide for sellers
- Take part in our Estate Agent fees survey >>>