Moving house in August? Avoid this date…
With almost 6000 homeowners organising their move on this day, the busiest day to move house in 2022 is definitely one to avoid
August 3, 2022
2 minute read
The busiest day to move house this year will be Friday 26 August – which kicks off the the summer bank holiday weekend.
Given the extra day off work, it’s no surprise that almost 6000 homeowners – four times more than average – are organising their move on this day.
August – the most popular month for moving
According to our research with our partners at reallymoving, we also found that August continues to be the most popular month to move. Our analysis of almost 600,000 removal quotes collected by reallymoving found August has been the most popular month to move home for the last 10 years.
And 1 in 3 households move on a Friday.
Why avoid the busiest day to move?
While it may seem sensible to move on a Friday, moving at the same time as large swathes of other people can put pressure on the professionals helping you move, which can mean a greater risk of delays.
Of course delays can occur at any time, but on the last Friday of the month, it is also peak time for conveyancing fraud and you will need to pay more for a removal company. If there are delays in transferring funds at completion, you may have to spend the weekend in a hotel or on a friend’s sofa.
For those reasons, moving on the busiest day of the year isn’t for the faint-hearted, especially with the August bank holiday also happening that week, pushing more moves onto the remaining four days.
Tips on avoiding moving day delays
- Suggest a mid-week move to all in your chain pointing out the potential downfall of choosing to move on a busy day like Friday. Savings are possible, for example, removals firms may offer mid-week deals on prices. See our guide to house removals costs.
- Book the removals firm. If you’re set on moving house on 26th August, then ensure your conveyancer and everyone in the chain knows you’re working towards that date and book your removals firm well in advance, so you only need to confirm as soon as you exchange. It’s best to ask them to come to your house to assess the volume of your belongings. This ensures you have the right sized van and number of team members on the day of your move.
- Choose a removals firm you trust and have rapport with. Talk through what would happen if a delay occurred. For example, do they have emergency storage if needed?
Get Home Removal Quotes
Compare home removal quotes today with our removal costs calculator
Buying and selling a house at the same time
How do I exchange contracts?
How to find the right removals company
- Moving house in August? Avoid this date…
August 3, 2022
- How much does it cost to charge an electric car?
July 7, 2022
- Double whammy for first time buyers as 1 in 4 pay stamp duty alongside soaring house prices
June 21, 2022
- Alternatives to Equity Release
June 21, 2022